"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What kind of cook or chef are you?
I am presently employed as a cook or chef. 4 11.11%
In the past I was employed as a cook or chef. 7 19.44%
I only cook these great foods for my family and friends! 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Head Chef
Professional or just a Great Cook!

Didn't know where to put this...so hoping it's ok here. I thought this poll might be fun. Everyone I have met on here seems to be so knowledgeable about food. I am one to believe there are just as many "great unprofessional cooks" as there are "professional" cooks....so would really enjoy the breakdown!

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
Senior Cook
For me cooking was always second nature, and at a very young age the chance was there so i took it. I had cooked, became head cook, held title of chef for a short while, then went into machining.

Although still cooking, it is now only for family and friends, albeit the art and passion will always be a focal point in my everyday life!

The 5150 Chef

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #3
Head Chef
I make my living as a chef. Which is one reason I'm not here much lately- my workweek is generally about 75 hours. Sadly, running a kitchen often involves as much paperwork and meetings as actual cooking!

But the joy is still there!
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Pantry supervisor at a country club here. Rob's right, a cook/chef's schedule can be odd hours, a long work-week, etc. And there is a surprising amount of paperwork to go with it. Luckily, I don't have much paperwork to do, just a little inventorying.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Master Chef
I have never cooked professionally. I have wanted to have a small bakery, but, never had the money to do anything about it.
I'm the one at get togethers that everyone is jumping up to see what I brought this time :o). Noone ever knows. I like to try new things on everyone. Sometimes it a big hit, other times, I throw the recipe away. I just love to cook.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Master Chef
I have never cooked professionally, but when my children were small, I dreamed of starting a catering service. At that time, the nearest one was in St. Louis, and I could have made money at it.
But my ex wasn't in favor of it. He said that I'd be working every weekend and holiday, which was right.
So I went into the greenhouse business instead...and worked every week-end and holiday. LOL!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Cooking professionally involves hard work and long hours. I take my hat off to professional chefs.

For me that would take the pleasure out of cooking. So I cook at home and enjoy that.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Cook
i have considered culinary school... but i am allergic to cow dairy and the schools i spoke to told me that there is no way i could attend without eating butter and cheese. lately, i have been seriously considering a few programs in my area that teach you how to become a vegan chef (no animal products at all, so no allergies for me)... im not a vegetarian but i love vegetarian cooking and there is a market for vegan food in my area.
HappyAvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I moved this thread to the Food Talk forum

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Master Chef
I've never cooked prof............but I truely enjoy cooking for my family and friends. The smiles on their faces is worth it.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote