"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Have you ever made a golumpki casserole Kathleen? I keep meaning to try it but then I forget and make something else.
We used to take the tree ornaments off and make it into a "birthday tree" for a friend who was a Christmas season baby. It was a lot of fun making ornaments using dollar-store decorations and origami "critters." Instead of an angel topper, we put a child's birthday hat on the top.

Re: cabbage roll casserole (a/k/a Lazy Day Cabbage Roll hotdish), it is delicious. I have also made cabbage roll soup and cabbage roll meatloaf (my favorite). Blanch cabbage leaves, line the bottom of a meatloaf pan, add sauce of choice, mix the meat the same as the filling you like for cabbage rolls (I use rice so that acts as the binder, but you might have to adjust the "moistness" to make it more meatloaf like), put 1/2 in the pan, add chopped cabbage, sauce, more meat, and cover with more cabbage and sauce. Cook for about 1.5 hours.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
Wine Guy

From the time I was a small child, our New Year's family tradition has always been Oyster Stew. So that's what we had.

I love the stuff, but for some reason I only make it this one night of the year.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #23
Cupcake

I love oyster stew! Does your family have a special recipe?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
From the time I was a small child, our New Year's family tradition has always been Oyster Stew. So that's what we had.

I love the stuff, but for some reason I only make it this one night of the year.
We too ate Oyster Stew on New Year's Eve when I was growing up in Northern MN. A friend and I were out getting stuff for NYE and I point blank told her I was NOT shucking oysters for stew. So we skipped the Oyster Stew. If I remember, it involved fish stock, freshly shucked oysters, some smoked oysters, cream, and some sherry at the end.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The Danish tradition is to have cod for New Years. It's a light meal after all the heavy Xmas food.

I finally made tourtière. I'm glad I only made one. I don't know what went wrong with the pie crust, but it was, as Stirling put it, "self-deconstructing". It tasted great. It was just one of those days. It took forever for the tourtière to bake, ~1.5 hours. I thought it was ready earlier, so I reheated some gravy and had to thicken it. It had gotten very runny. I heated the rødkål. Then the danged tourtière had to bake for another half an hour, so the gravy got really thick and I had to nuke the rødkål a second time. Oh well, it all tasted good. We had pickled beets with that too.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #26
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I have a TNT recipe I'll post a little later today.

I use ready shucked oysters, which Ive very rarely had trouble finding - even when we lived in different parts of the country. Much less work and expense than shucking them yourself. If you can find those, the whole recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes.

In a pinch one year I used canned oysters. It wasn't exactly the same, but it wasn't awful either.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
In my family, one has something with cabbage on New Years. The decision was to make golabkis, which is better known as stuffed cabbage/cabbage rolls. They were baked in a Dutch oven with stewed tomatoes and went well with mashed potatoes.

I'll keep Christmas decorations up until the Epiphany. Once it passes, I will sure miss my holiday dishes.

What a good idea. I love cabbage in all its forms and rarely buy it as a whole one is too much and you can no longer negotiate a half or a quarter of one with the greengrocer as you could years ago. I specially like the small pointed ones - called "Sweethearts" around here.

Did you stuff the leaves with a meat filling or a veggie one?

I have to admit to cheating with stuffed cabbage. Jane Grigson's veg book has a few recipes but the one I tend to follow is one given to her by a neighbour in France where, instead of all the faff with separating leaves etc., she layered the filling and the blanched cabbage in a big pot. No a "holiday" dish but good enough for an everyday dish.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Your great style shines through again MC! Well done.
What a kind compliment. Thank you
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The Danish tradition is to have cod for New Years. It's a light meal after all the heavy Xmas food.

I finally made tourtière. I'm glad I only made one. I don't know what went wrong with the pie crust, but it was, as Stirling put it, "self-deconstructing". It tasted great. It was just one of those days. It took forever for the tourtière to bake, ~1.5 hours. I thought it was ready earlier, so I reheated some gravy and had to thicken it. It had gotten very runny. I heated the rødkål. Then the danged tourtière had to bake for another half an hour, so the gravy got really thick and I had to nuke the rødkål a second time. Oh well, it all tasted good. We had pickled beets with that too.
I am definitely NOT a world class pastry maker but I find it's even worse if I've had a tiring or frustrating morning or a bad day at work or I'm feeling under par . I know to leave pastry alone then!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #30
Wine Guy

Quote:
I was going to post the recipe, but apparently I already posted it almost exactly one year ago. Good thing I checked first.

Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew