Qu'est-ce que vous mangez aujourd'hui, mes amis? Jan. 1, 2014.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
French friend is over to visit her (English) late husband's mother . Plan A was that she would come for lunch on Sunday but the best laid plans of mice and men etc.... She rang at 11.30 morning to ask if she could come today instead. Of course she could but lunch was likely to be short commons.

My lunch today was to have been yesterday's roast chicken in a sandwich. I was away over Christmas and beyond so hadn't done much shopping for the last 2 weeks and I'd been running the freezer down to defrost it. OK, quick scrabble round. The chicken of course, the last legs of a bag of frozen peas (not enough for sides for two diners but could be used in a made-up dish), a slab of extra mature Cornish cheddar which was in a goodies hamper I received for Christmas and bottle of wine from same, some left over thick cream, an onion, some frozen roast potatoes and a few mushrooms. Decisions, decisions.

Made a soubise sauce with the onion, milk and the cream (yes I know sauce soubise isn't made with cream but needs must when the devil rides). Cut the chicken into chunks and put it in a baking dish, added the defrosted peas and the mushrooms which I'd sautéd in butter, poured the sauce over and scattered some grated cheese and Sainsbury's lemon and cracked black pepper breadcrumbs on top and baked in the oven. served with some frozen roast potatoes.

Grapes and more of the cheddar and a self-bake baguette from the Co-operative for "pudding" (the Co-op's bread is surprisingly good for supermarket offerings) and coffee from the new filter machine.

Though I sez it me sen as 'appen I shouldn't, it wasn't half bad for a last minute panic meal and the French friend enjoyed it (she knows me well enough not to lie if she didn't!).

She's just left and it was great catching up as we only usually meet once a year.

A good cook can always throw together a last minute meal. That meal sounds wonderful.

Cat's making her awesome chicken soup/stew today. She's taking a shortcut today, though. Instead of cooking the chicken, she's using a rotisserie chicken from the store.

We had pork loin sandwiches for lunch. MammaCat had a few bites. She's still on mostly liquids, and can't wait for the soup tonight. Cat has a small crockpot full of flavored bouillon for her and today it's beef.

Lakisha

We have some leftover cooked shrimp from last night so I'll make a pasta dish with shrimp, roasted red peppers, garlic, white wine etc.

We ate ALL the Dungeness crab last night! There's not a morsel to be found.
So------ Costco's pot stickers it is for tonight! My GoTo meal.

(I'm not a great cook!)

I plan to make a Thai vegetable curry tonight. Coconut has been vindicated by science as a healthy (as well as delicious) ingredient!

In my family, one has something with cabbage on New Years. The decision was to make golabkis, which is better known as stuffed cabbage/cabbage rolls. :chef: They were baked in a Dutch oven with stewed tomatoes and went well with mashed potatoes.

I'll keep Christmas decorations up until the Epiphany. Once it passes, I will sure miss my holiday dishes.

Attachments

• 2014-01-01 17.50.16.jpg
    2014-01-01 17.50.16.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Kathleen----- I'd love it if you cook some golabkis for me! But failing that I guess I'm just going to have to make them myself. I've had them served to me before and loved them. I guess I just have to decide that wilting the cabbage leaves isn't a big deal. (grin)

One of my favorite meal combos!!! It looks great!

I made a roast pork loin with potatoes, carrots, and sauerkraut and then roasted cauliflower as the other veg. Served with rye bread.

In my family, one has something with cabbage on New Years. The decision was to make golabkis, which is better known as stuffed cabbage/cabbage rolls. :chef: They were baked in a Dutch oven with stewed tomatoes and went well with mashed potatoes.

I'll keep Christmas decorations up until the Epiphany. Once it passes, I will sure miss my holiday dishes.

Last edited:
Kathleen, that is how I make my stuffed cabbage rolls, but I also include some drained saurkraut with the stewed tomatoes. Then when I serve it, I put some of the tomatoes and saurkraut over the mashed potatoes.

Some people in our area keep decorations up until Epiphany, Three Kings Day, Twelfth Night, it's called so many things. My mother always did, but most in our area take them down on New Years Day. Our were down and put away by noon.

Mad Cook, awesome patched-together meal! You got skills.

Lakisha, the rotisserie chicken makes a great soup. I pick all the meat off when I buy one, then freeze the bones, saving them up to make a good sized pot of stock.

I used the Christmas hambone to make"Mom's Ham and Bean soup". It's somewhere in the soup sub-forum but I don't know how to link to it on my mobile phone.

Have you ever made a golumpki casserole Kathleen? I keep meaning to try it but then I forget and make something else.

And we keep our decorations up till at least Epiphany. Sometimes the red and white stuff is still there for Valentine's day. :O

I've not made golabki casserole before. Do you have a recipe?

The red/white for Valentine's Day sounds like a winner!

So do the meals that everyone made. I love holiday cooking....well, I love cooking. :chef:

Kathleen, I probably have a recipe or two saved on my laptop but I'm using just my cellphone while we are at our daughter's. It's one of those "I have to try this"recipes that I haven't made yet. I'll try to remember to look for it when we get home next week.

Back
Top Bottom