Qu'est-ce que vous mangez aujourd'hui, mes amis? Jan. 1, 2014.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you ever made a golumpki casserole Kathleen? I keep meaning to try it but then I forget and make something else.
We used to take the tree ornaments off and make it into a "birthday tree" for a friend who was a Christmas season baby. It was a lot of fun making ornaments using dollar-store decorations and origami "critters." Instead of an angel topper, we put a child's birthday hat on the top.

Re: cabbage roll casserole (a/k/a Lazy Day Cabbage Roll hotdish), it is delicious. I have also made cabbage roll soup and cabbage roll meatloaf (my favorite). Blanch cabbage leaves, line the bottom of a meatloaf pan, add sauce of choice, mix the meat the same as the filling you like for cabbage rolls (I use rice so that acts as the binder, but you might have to adjust the "moistness" to make it more meatloaf like), put 1/2 in the pan, add chopped cabbage, sauce, more meat, and cover with more cabbage and sauce. Cook for about 1.5 hours.

Last edited:
From the time I was a small child, our New Year's family tradition has always been Oyster Stew. So that's what we had.

I love the stuff, but for some reason I only make it this one night of the year.

From the time I was a small child, our New Year's family tradition has always been Oyster Stew. So that's what we had.

I love the stuff, but for some reason I only make it this one night of the year.
We too ate Oyster Stew on New Year's Eve when I was growing up in Northern MN. A friend and I were out getting stuff for NYE and I point blank told her I was NOT shucking oysters for stew. So we skipped the Oyster Stew. If I remember, it involved fish stock, freshly shucked oysters, some smoked oysters, cream, and some sherry at the end.

The Danish tradition is to have cod for New Years. It's a light meal after all the heavy Xmas food.

I finally made tourtière. I'm glad I only made one. I don't know what went wrong with the pie crust, but it was, as Stirling put it, "self-deconstructing". It tasted great. It was just one of those days. It took forever for the tourtière to bake, ~1.5 hours. :ermm: I thought it was ready earlier, so I reheated some gravy and had to thicken it. It had gotten very runny. I heated the rødkål. Then the danged tourtière had to bake for another half an hour, so the gravy got really thick and I had to nuke the rødkål a second time. Oh well, it all tasted good. We had pickled beets with that too.

I love oyster stew! Does your family have a special recipe?
I have a TNT recipe I'll post a little later today.

I use ready shucked oysters, which Ive very rarely had trouble finding - even when we lived in different parts of the country. Much less work and expense than shucking them yourself. If you can find those, the whole recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes.

In a pinch one year I used canned oysters. It wasn't exactly the same, but it wasn't awful either.

In my family, one has something with cabbage on New Years. The decision was to make golabkis, which is better known as stuffed cabbage/cabbage rolls. :chef: They were baked in a Dutch oven with stewed tomatoes and went well with mashed potatoes.

I'll keep Christmas decorations up until the Epiphany. Once it passes, I will sure miss my holiday dishes.

What a good idea. I love cabbage in all its forms and rarely buy it as a whole one is too much and you can no longer negotiate a half or a quarter of one with the greengrocer as you could years ago. I specially like the small pointed ones - called "Sweethearts" around here.

Did you stuff the leaves with a meat filling or a veggie one?

I have to admit to cheating with stuffed cabbage. Jane Grigson's veg book has a few recipes but the one I tend to follow is one given to her by a neighbour in France where, instead of all the faff with separating leaves etc., she layered the filling and the blanched cabbage in a big pot. No a "holiday" dish but good enough for an everyday dish.

The Danish tradition is to have cod for New Years. It's a light meal after all the heavy Xmas food.

I finally made tourtière. I'm glad I only made one. I don't know what went wrong with the pie crust, but it was, as Stirling put it, "self-deconstructing". It tasted great. It was just one of those days. It took forever for the tourtière to bake, ~1.5 hours. :ermm: I thought it was ready earlier, so I reheated some gravy and had to thicken it. It had gotten very runny. I heated the rødkål. Then the danged tourtière had to bake for another half an hour, so the gravy got really thick and I had to nuke the rødkål a second time. Oh well, it all tasted good. We had pickled beets with that too.
I am definitely NOT a world class pastry maker but I find it's even worse if I've had a tiring or frustrating morning or a bad day at work or I'm feeling under par . I know to leave pastry alone then:huh:!

I am definitely NOT a world class pastry maker but I find it's even worse if I've had a tiring or frustrating morning or a bad day at work or I'm feeling under par . I know to leave pastry alone then:huh:!
Yeah, I probably should have left it since I'm definitely feeling under par. But, I wanted tourtière and the pastry has never turned out that crumbly before. It's still better than when my pastry needed a steak knife to saw through it.

I've not made golabki casserole before. Do you have a recipe?

The red/white for Valentine's Day sounds like a winner!

So do the meals that everyone made. I love holiday cooking....well, I love cooking. :chef:

There are probably as many recipes for cabbage roll casserole as there are cooks. He's a list! Just pick one that sounds good to you!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,unstuffed_cabbage,FF.html

My family loves my cabbage rolls, so I tried doing the casserole and it just wasn't the same as the cabbage rolls cooking for hours in the tomatoes and saurkraut.

What a good idea. I love cabbage in all its forms and rarely buy it as a whole one is too much and you can no longer negotiate a half or a quarter of one with the greengrocer as you could years ago. I specially like the small pointed ones - called "Sweethearts" around here.

Did you stuff the leaves with a meat filling or a veggie one?

I have to admit to cheating with stuffed cabbage. Jane Grigson's veg book has a few recipes but the one I tend to follow is one given to her by a neighbour in France where, instead of all the faff with separating leaves etc., she layered the filling and the blanched cabbage in a big pot. No a "holiday" dish but good enough for an everyday dish.

I use a meat filling of beef with a bit of pork sausage. Other additions are rice, salt, pepper, onion, and tomato of some form. Roll them and slow cook them after covering with stewed tomatoes or just tomatoes. :chef:

I was going to post the recipe, but apparently I already posted it almost exactly one year ago. Good thing I checked first. ;)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/steve-krolls-oyster-stew-83662.html

Oyster stew may be on Sunday's menu! Thank you so much!!! :yum:

There are probably as many recipes for cabbage roll casserole as there are cooks. He's a list! Just pick one that sounds good to you!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,unstuffed_cabbage,FF.html

My family loves my cabbage rolls, so I tried doing the casserole and it just wasn't the same as the cabbage rolls cooking for hours in the tomatoes and saurkraut.

My thought in looking them over was "It won't be the same." :LOL:

I use a meat filling of beef with a bit of pork sausage. Other additions are rice, salt, pepper, onion, and tomato of some form. Roll them and slow cook them after covering with stewed tomatoes or just tomatoes. :chef:

My Grandmother makes this, she calls it Lazy Golabki. I'll find her recipe and post it.

My SIL taught me how to make them. My MIL made them with a lot of rice, and she didn't put them in the oven or roaster. She cooked them in tomato juice on top of the stove in a big soup pot. I didn't like them that way and neither did my husband, but her other boys still want it that way. When I make them it's either in my big turkey pan, or in the electric roaster, out on the porch and they cook for 4-5 hours. There is enough that the kids come over with big containers to take them home. I have never made just enough for dinner. I usually get about 50 - 60 cabbage rolls. My filling is ground beef, rice, parsley, and seasoned salt. I line the roaster with extra cabbage leaves. Then I put canned tomatoes and saurkraut over each layer. My BIL likes the cabbage from the bottom of the pan, and he calls it "cajunka" which is what they grandfather called it. I don't think that is a real Slovak word, but just means "junk." LOL

Back
Top Bottom