"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Qu'est-ce que vous mangez aujourd'hui, mes amis? Jan. 1, 2014.

French friend is over to visit her (English) late husband's mother . Plan A was that she would come for lunch on Sunday but the best laid plans of mice and men etc.... She rang at 11.30 morning to ask if she could come today instead. Of course she could but lunch was likely to be short commons.

My lunch today was to have been yesterday's roast chicken in a sandwich. I was away over Christmas and beyond so hadn't done much shopping for the last 2 weeks and I'd been running the freezer down to defrost it. OK, quick scrabble round. The chicken of course, the last legs of a bag of frozen peas (not enough for sides for two diners but could be used in a made-up dish), a slab of extra mature Cornish cheddar which was in a goodies hamper I received for Christmas and bottle of wine from same, some left over thick cream, an onion, some frozen roast potatoes and a few mushrooms. Decisions, decisions.

Made a soubise sauce with the onion, milk and the cream (yes I know sauce soubise isn't made with cream but needs must when the devil rides). Cut the chicken into chunks and put it in a baking dish, added the defrosted peas and the mushrooms which I'd sautÚd in butter, poured the sauce over and scattered some grated cheese and Sainsbury's lemon and cracked black pepper breadcrumbs on top and baked in the oven. served with some frozen roast potatoes.

Grapes and more of the cheddar and a self-bake baguette from the Co-operative for "pudding" (the Co-op's bread is surprisingly good for supermarket offerings) and coffee from the new filter machine.

Though I sez it me sen as 'appen I shouldn't, it wasn't half bad for a last minute panic meal and the French friend enjoyed it (she knows me well enough not to lie if she didn't!).

She's just left and it was great catching up as we only usually meet once a year.

Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Head Chef
A good cook can always throw together a last minute meal. That meal sounds wonderful.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refridgerator.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Head Chef
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
A good cook can always throw together a last minute meal. That meal sounds wonderful.
That is SO true. ----- And Mad Cook proved it!
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
Cat's making her awesome chicken soup/stew today. She's taking a shortcut today, though. Instead of cooking the chicken, she's using a rotisserie chicken from the store.

We had pork loin sandwiches for lunch. MammaCat had a few bites. She's still on mostly liquids, and can't wait for the soup tonight. Cat has a small crockpot full of flavored bouillon for her and today it's beef.

Lakisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Master Chef
Your great style shines through again MC! Well done.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Executive Chef
I have a beef roast in the pressure cooker with carrots and potatoes. Yum!
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
We have some leftover cooked shrimp from last night so I'll make a pasta dish with shrimp, roasted red peppers, garlic, white wine etc.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Head Chef
We ate ALL the Dungeness crab last night! There's not a morsel to be found.
So------ Costco's pot stickers it is for tonight! My GoTo meal.

(I'm not a great cook!)
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
I plan to make a Thai vegetable curry tonight. Coconut has been vindicated by science as a healthy (as well as delicious) ingredient!
Nettie Potts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
In my family, one has something with cabbage on New Years. The decision was to make golabkis, which is better known as stuffed cabbage/cabbage rolls. They were baked in a Dutch oven with stewed tomatoes and went well with mashed potatoes.

I'll keep Christmas decorations up until the Epiphany. Once it passes, I will sure miss my holiday dishes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-01 17.50.16.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	20509  

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote