Question about red wine and soup pairings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend is having a Cabernet Sauvignon/Soup get-together. That part is fixed and won't change. One person is making an Italian Wedding Soup, another is making a Mushroom/Wild Rice Soup, and then I have to bring another soup. Let me start off by saying it cannot be anything with seafood due to some allergy problems with some of the people, or I would make my Fish Stew in a skinny minute!!!!!!

I could make my minestrone, but fear it would be very close to the Italian Wedding Soup. I would love to make my cauliflower soup but don't really know that it would go with red wine all that well. All I can think of are seafood-type soups that would go PERFECT with the cab, but that's not going to happen! lol

What about a black bean soup? (I've got a recipe so yea or nay is what I need - I don't want anyone to waste their time typing one out is all)

Any suggestions?

I would say go. As black bean soup is a hearty meal, it should go well with a full-bodied red wine.

I don't get the cab and soup either but I just have to go with it!

Oxtail soup might be a good choice too. Anyone have a good tried and true recipe for that?

(thanks IC and boufa)

I thought of French Onion Andy. My only problem was the cheese melted on top. I guess I could, for the simplicity of it, just melt the cheese on the croûtons, keep them covered and warm and place at the bottom of the bowl when they eat it?

kitchenelf said:
I don't get the cab and soup either but I just have to go with it!

Oxtail soup might be a good choice too. Anyone have a good tried and true recipe for that?

(thanks IC and boufa)

I have a recipe for Oxtail soup but the flavoring base is ginger, cilantro, etc. which will taste absolutely disgusting with the cab. Any Asian flavor is out because it will automatically clash with the cab.

Here's a recipe for a dish that is very popular in Hawaii. I would tweak the recipe by using a complete mire poix which the original does not have, and using chicken stock instead of water, or at least 50/50 water to stock. And a bouquet garni. Can't forget that as well.

Portuguese Bean Soup II - Allrecipes

People after my own heart. Every year or two I make what I call three courses of soup. Something hearty, more stew-like (up to and including chili), something very light and probably Asian, and my husband makes a wonderful French onion soup. I put out a white and a red and some beer, because the white and the beer go better with the lighter soups. The red is usually Cab; I find it works with the beefier stuff. BUT ... no one in my group is a wine snob, they're happy with whatever I toss out.

I have just been told that the wine could be changed at this point. It can't be Zinfandel, which is fine because it puts us in the same predicament, or close to it anyway.

So, if the soups are Italian Wedding, Mushroom (I can only imagine it's cream-based) and then my soup, which is still up in the air. Is there a wine more suited to the other two soups besides cab?

You know I understand that food/wine parings can be an art form..with all of the subtle nuances of this winery, that country, year of bottling, type of grape etc...Several years ago I bought several books...read and studied hard...My wine bill was running in excess of 100.00 per weak...I made pages of notes etc...finally for me it got quite confusing..even frustrating...Today I am a liberated man:LOL:

I drink what I like...I have maybe 5 reds that I like...and a couple of whites...
So if it were me...(which of course it is not) I would take what I like to drink.. period ;) That"s probably what the other folks will do too!

Anyway it will be YOUR soup that will be the grand prize winner for the evening!!:chef:

kitchenelf said:
I have just been told that the wine could be changed at this point. It can't be Zinfandel, which is fine because it puts us in the same predicament, or close to it anyway.

So, if the soups are Italian Wedding, Mushroom (I can only imagine it's cream-based) and then my soup, which is still up in the air. Is there a wine more suited to the other two soups besides cab?

Bring a grenache, or a grenache blend like a Cotes du Rhone.

Just saw this and gotta get to bed.

How about a white Cab? Maybe in a vichyssoise or a gazpacho?

Or a red would work in a borscht.

Could go with a white in a southeast Asian type of soup, would give a nice contrast to the others.

Sorry, but I really need some ZZZZZZ's.

Sounds like fun though and enjoy.

OK, I think I've made up my mind - How does this sound.

IC - Cotes du Rhone was the wine chosen for the last get-together - I guess we'll just make the best of it and call it a good time anyway!

Elf... you could choose a Gigondas or Vacqueras, which are kinda kicked-up Cotes du Rhone...

My thought was Pinot Noir... I know that would go well with the Mushroom soup, and Onion Soup, as well.

then there are the cru Beaujolais' Morgon, Brouilly, Fleurie or Julienas... all would go well.. Beaujolais wines tend to go with everything.

Unfortunately ChefJune - the Cabernet Sauvignon was written in stone. Here is the recipe that is almost done! It has some great flavor and the andouille I used gives it some nice spice.

Back
Top Bottom