"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Quicksilver's Quasi Formal Bash! Join in!

PLEASE NOTE: This is virtual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Hey, we don't have to do this theme...you got one you'd like to do quicksilver? Why don't you put a menu together for this weekend and post it? We'll all chime in and join you.
I don't know what my theme is, but after thinking I'd start with a theme using chiopino, I changed my mind.

I'm going to go with a quasi-formal, and stay away from the upcoming usual holiday fare.
However, I'll need input for the wine paring, please.
I don't have alot of knowledge of wines. I only know what I like, and it's not always an appropiate match to the food.

1st course:

Soup: French onion served in individual sourdough bowls (Made by JoeV) topped with baked gruyere

2nd course:

Spinach Salad with hot bacon dressing,served in individual parmasan baskets

Palette cleanser:

Orange or lemon sorbet with ribbon of mint on chinese soup spoons

3rd (main) course:

Crown Pork Roast, with roasted parsnips & carrots in a orange/honey glaze, and whipped parsley potatoes and celery root. Warm popovers with chive butter.

4th (dessert) course:

Cheese, fruit and shelled nut platters (paired with appropriate wines)

5th (final) course:

Chocolates, demitasse, cappuccino, or coffee

(keep in mind this is not just a meal, but an event, a celebration of our community, so it is not an eat and run kind of thing. Sit, stay, and enjoy!)

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Everymom

OK, I moved this to its own thread. You've got a menu, now you need to decide on a day and then see who all is going to join you on this extravganza.

I will have to modify a few things to accomodate them in our house (Nut allergies) and is it OK if I use regular bowls? We're not big on the bread bowl or basket thing. We end up wasting a lot of food that way.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
wow! It all sounds so good!!!
Paul and I have really small tummies though. I'll make the soup and salad and dream about eating the rest!

Thanks for the invite!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Alix, the nuts are only served seperate at the end with other fruit & cheeses.
"Cheese, fruit and shelled nut platters (paired with appropriate wine)"(I changed platter to platters)
The only nuts not allowed are the people who don't want to join in!!! LOL! As far as the bowls, maybe you are right, but I was trying to get joeV in there. So maybe I'll just do small, individual crocks with JoeV's sourdough under the cheese.
Pd, I never finish anything served in courses, 'cause I know I won't be able to get to the next course. But you MUST have a taste (sort of like birthday cake- a taste for luck!), because I can't guarantee leftovers or doggie bags!

I also haven't accommodated for strict kosher, (nor could I ever, as I'd need a seperate kitchen and all equipment)
Nor have I accounted for strict vegetarians. I can't even imagine a meal that way. Nor could I imagine a meal of just meat. (Oh, maybe BBQ, but I'd miss the corn on the cob! LOL!)
And the one thing I tried to add, but couldn't figure out how, was fish. As a lover of fish, and italian, I always try to fit this in.
Next time.

But this is a dinner PARTY, for a good time by all. So please
offer up your additions.........AND I STILL NEED WINE SUGGESTIONS!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
ahhhh, I thought that this was one of our Sunday "everybody" cooks the same thing meals. We did that a while back and it was pretty fun.

Ok, since we are joining you for dinner...bring it on! Paul and I will gladly over eat to our hearts desire!

smiles and burps, Trish
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Maybe I'm wrong, or misunderstood,I thought this was all VIRTUAL! No?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

I think this is a great menu but I am confused. I was thinking along the line of Pdswife that we all make it the same night. I would have to skip the wine parings as we do not have alcohol in this house, and DH has celiac/lactose intolerance so I would have to make adjustments there.

So, is this a virtual dinner that you are making for us all, Quicksilver, or are you actually inviting people to your home?

Sorry for being so dense...I usually blame it on the pain meds but today I think I will use the chlorine from the pool as my excuse! LOL!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

I was confused too... that is why I have not posted yet. I thought I would let Laurie ask so I did not have to be the one asking!!!! Thanks Laurie!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Let's do virtual. (I think I better go to post #1 and make this clear. Sorry for the changes, Alix. I wasn't around for the first one. So this is MY spin)
I don't think all of us could handle all of us. NO?
I know my house couldn't come close.
Tell us, Laurie of you changes and adds.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to find picks of everything, so we can set the table.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Head Chef

Virtual...Sunday Dinner...Party....Whatever. I'm just thrilled to be able to contribute the bread bowls. As a mater of fact, I just fed my sourdough starter the other day, so it's ready to go. I think I gained two pounds just reading the menu.

As far as wine goes, I always have a Merlot, a Chardonnay and a Pinot Grigio (sp?) on hand for any dinner party. I've found that tastes are so varied, that it's important to cover the bases rather than to limit my guests to a particular wine that they may not enjoy with a particular course. As you said, it's what you like, and that should also apply to the guests, IMHO.

That's my nickle's worth.

JoeV