"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Downsizing has been going on for more than a few years. As Rob said, tuna cans used to be around 7 ounces. That was decades ago. They dropped to 6.5 then 6.0 over the years. Now they're at 5 ounces.

What really frosts me is that the companies will tell you the size reduction is in response to consumer demands. What?? They get consumers demanding less product for the same money?!

Coffee has been downsizing for a long time too. You used to be able to get 1, 2 & 3 pound cans of coffee. Now the cans are reduced so the 1 pounder is now 12 ounces.

Beware of recipes that call for a can, box or bottle of any ingredient. That container now probably contains a lot less and could ruin your recipes.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I've wondered about the liquid laundry detergents that are 2X or 3X if they really are twice as strong or three times as strong. Having arthritis, I like having the smaller container but hope I get what I'm paying for.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
Master Chef

starkist tuna in the foil, they're ounces less than they were, dannon yogurt went from 8-oz. to 6-oz. several yrs. ago. candybars, woah!
i got a condensed soup last nite for $4+! for tripe soup that, if the shelves were properly stocked i could've cooked myself for much less than that.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
Master Chef

"Yeah" to everything above. Plus what happened to the "half-gallon" of ice cream? Oh, it's 1 1/2 quarts now. Same price, pretty much. At least the newer size fits in my freezer more easily. I try to cook from-scratch most of the time. We have a year-round farm stand not too far from here. I used to make salads from scratch since he would charge only 99 cents for head, romaine and leaf lettuces. Price went up to match real-world prices a month or two ago. Now I'll pick up the 3# bag-o-salad from BJs when I'm there. My hubby actually likes the stems of the lettuces (you can send yours our way, licia!) so I throw them all in his bowl.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #15
Head Chef

It's really annoying, that's for sure. And it does throw your recipe off if you've been used to using a can of this, a jar of that, etc. For the most part I cook almost everything from scratch at home, but I do have a few "go-to" comfort food recipes that I rely on packaged stuff (eg. hamburger tater tot hot dish, tuna & shells). I guess if the price is going up while quality is going thru the cellar I'll just start making them from scratch, too.