"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Head Chef

Rant: Yet Another Food Company Ripoff

It's a well known and oft-discussed fact that more and more the food companies are ripping off unwary consumers by putting less product in the same size package and charging the same price. But it used to be that "flagship" brands and products were still the same, albeit there's not as much in each package. Sadly, now I see the quality is also taking a beating.

After a couple days of being basically snowed in, things were cleared enough
today to make a trip to the grocery store. Even though I've spent most of my life working as a chef, I'm not a complete food snob; I still like many of the comfort foods of my youth. One such favorite is tuna & noodles, which my Mom usually made with shells. It's basically pasta shells, canned cream of mushroom soup, onions (sometimes peas) and canned tuna. Normally when I buy processed tuna I get the foil packages, which are far superior to canned, but the closest market to me just has cans. Jonesing for some comfort food I bought a couple cans of Chicken of the Sea, which used to be a good product for what it is...well, it's not any longer. It's just pulverized tuna dust floating in a can of water! Seriously, in two cans combined there weren't 5 chunks large enough to identify as having come from a fish. This isn't a total fluke, either. A couple months ago I bought the same brand from a different store to make tuna sandwiches and I noticed the same thing. Obviously there's variation in an agricultural/animal product but having eaten a lot of canned tuna over the years I've never seen crap like this before, even in the cheapest store brands.

And can anyone refresh my memory, didn't a can of tuna used to be six or seven ounces? Now they're five ounces (about 4oz drained). The pouches have gotten a little bit smaller, too, but at least with them there's very little added water or waste, and you can instantly determine how much is in the package.

I don't know about you but I'd much rather pay a little more to get a decent product. I understand the need to make a profit but I'm tired of purchasing crap. While I'm ranting, have you noticed that even the more expensive frozen produce brands like Bird's Eye have gone to nearly all fully-printed packaging, probably to disguise the fact that the product is sub-par? Last time I bought frozen
Bird's Eye broccoli florettes the bag was mostly stems. In my area Sam's Club is about the only place to buy decent quality frozen veggies anymore.

I wonder how much further the Big Food Companies can push consumers til we finally decide not to take it anymore?

Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Unfortunatly this seems to have become a new trend. I was going to buy a box of brand name cereal at $2 a box thinking it was a bargain until I realized it was only 12 oz instead of 16oz. I am pretty thrify and tend to stay away from name brands unless it's a super bargain. The tuna in cans, which I use pretty frequently, has gone downhill over the years. What used to be a nice compact fully formed chunk is now sort of floaty pieces in water. I'm too cheap to buy the packaged over canned because Winco has bumblebee tuna at about $2 a big can all the time and the sealed bags at almost $4 which is probably a scam in itself. I'm just too tired to figure out why.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Last time I checked, Bumble Bee and Progresso solid white were still pretty good (except for the reduced can size).
Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Head Chef

I used to see Bumblebee on the shelves all the time but I haven't seen for a few years now.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Conagra acquired Bumblebee along with a bunch of other brands several years ago. Then Conagra shafted its shareholders by selling the Bumblebee franchise to Bumblebee's management at a lowball price.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Check out the bottom of the Yoplait containers. They're at least an inch above the outside edge of the side at the widest part... a waste of 30% of the packaging material and an optical illusion as to how much yogurt you are actually getting... Clearly a rip-off!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I've noticed some products with the changes mentioned. One that really gets me is prepared greens that have so many stems that by the time you remove them there is enough left for one decent sized salad. Some varieties I've stopped purchasing. BTW, I use Bumble Bee tuna and believe it to be a good product.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

The "downsizing" trend has been going on for 2-3 years - they have even had reports about it on the evening news. I first noticed it with coffee, then cereal, tuna got downsized over a year ago. The "logic" was that instead of raising prices due to increased production costs they would just decrease the package amount so it wouldn't cost the consumer more. Huh?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Chef Rob,
The food companies have been making this the trend in recent years about lowering the amount of product they offer in a container.Your point about the packged Tuna is right on the money. The quality has dropped along with the weight.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I have been hearing about this for many years now. Coffee and cereal were the two things that every few years I seemed to hear were lowering the amounts they were putting in the package while keeping the prices the same or sometimes even raising them.