"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I didn't actually mean for the debate to be solely about pies, I put that in to explain how myself and my cousin came around to the question.

Please feel free to give any recipe you like, doesn't have to be a pie dish.

Of course we can stand proud of our culinery delights that we have in the UK.(deep fried Mars bars !) Only joking, the food in the UK is truely
superb - especially my Mum's cooking ...

You have now got me thinking of other dishes that identify a region in the UK other than pies. I hope I have forgotten about that the next time I see my cousin or it will be another 4 hrs down the pub. Ah might phone him up now to see if he's available this evening

Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

well, deep fried mars bars are a travesty. But here in Italy - a country synonomous with good food, the same happens, packet food in supermarket and NUTELLA PIZZA, which has to equal the deep fried mars bar - speak subjectively having tried neither, lol.

UK food?- too many to list! The most famous -Hot Pot from Lancashire, scones from the WestCountry, Clotted cream for those scones, Haggis from Scotland, lardy cakes and potted shrimps and junkets and cheeses and the dishes made from them, .....Davo, there are HUNDREDS, many less well known than they used to be, but still deserving. Where abouts (roughly) are you from?....I bet there are some local dishes to be proud of.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
There was actually a debate over whether Florida's pie should be Pecan or Key Lime.
I would agree about Key Lime pie, but I suspect lots of Texans would protest that Pecan pie should be "theirs".
At the same time I initially thought of Tex-Mex and barbecue for the state dish of Texas, but then I realised they would get similar protests from other southern states about barbecue, and almost identical competition from Southern California about Tex-Mex.

The only surefire dishes that would represent a particular state that I can think of right now is anything Cajun from Louisiana.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Well said, Lulu! And let's not forget that lots of the American regional dishes have their roots in the UK, too - Cornish pasties for instance which I was surprised to hear are such a staple in mining areas of the USA, as well as fudge, fruit pies and hearty stews and casseroles!
Ummmmmmmmm! Yah! pasties! I could eat those breakfast, lunch and dinner forever.

Apple pie maybe Washington, but slap a piece of cheese on top and your definitely in Wisconsin.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

The only real BBQ is beef, and the only real BBQ is from Tejas. ;)

And there's a reason it's called Tex-Mex, not Cali-Mex. :P

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine
Maryland = Crabcakes.
Slap some Mayo on your burger and gravey on your French Fries and your signing "Oh Canada" EH! "Loppr"
Old 09-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #17
Everymom

Mayo on your burger? Is that a Canadian thing? I thought mayo was more popular in the US. When I travel there it is "on tap" at condiment bars (UGH) and it never is here at home. Canadian food is a wee bit different yet. We tend to gravitate to our cultural roots for our foods. Though there are many things that are distinct to certain regions. (Tourtiere leaps to mind.)

Tell me truthfully, you folks down south don't try gravy on your fries? Lordy what you are missing! I'm not even going to talk about poutine...ohhhhh my arteries!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Alix - somehow I think that is the ONLY thing we don't put gravy on and I'm not sure how that slid by us!!!! lol

Mayo on a burger????? You bet!

You slap some mayo on some white bread around here and many call that "lunch"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hi Lulu,

I'm from the North East of England - very unhealthy diet up here! Lovely Stottie cakes filled with chips !! the list is endless as you say - I'll feel like food now!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Alix,

You want to try Garlic sauce on your fries(chips) - That was our staple diet when I was at University and also cold pizza left over from the night before..