"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Recipe for each US state

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

Myself and my cousin are from the UK and we were having a discussion relating to the best pie recipes for each county in the UK (as we are great pie eaters). As each county would have a pie recipe that would identify it.

Then he asked the question if it is the same in the states, obviously not pies, but is their a recipe that would identify the state.

My cousin thinks that this is not the case, but I beg to differ. Please help family pride at steak -oops - stake.

If anybody stateside could help us out we would be most gratreful.

Regards

Davo

Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Head Chef

I don't know about Tennessee. Maybe Possum or Squirrel Pie? ;)

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Head Chef

There was actually a debate over whether Florida's pie should be Pecan or Key Lime. I lean toward the latter. Georgia would be Peach Pie I would guess. In Tejas I'm partial to Pecan Pie. Washington would be Apple Pie. I would guess Maine would be Blueberry Pie.

I really don't know.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Head Chef

This might be a bit difficult to cut it down to "just one".

Even a relatively "average" sized state like Michigan can lay claim to several regional dishes. Up north there are the pasties, fudge, and cherries while downstate you have things like coney dogs and apples. Then there are all the fish from the lakes - even that can change based on where you are in the state... Perch, whitefish, salmon, walleye, etc...

I'd probably have to go with the cherries though - they have their own festival up in Traverse City each year...

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Maryland = Crabcakes.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Hi guys,

Thanks for the updates.

I think we really didn't actually take into account the size of the US as outlined in John's post. Probably because we are from such a small little island ourselves.

Regards

Davo
Old 09-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo
Hi guys,

Thanks for the updates.

I think we really didn't actually take into account the size of the US as outlined in John's post. Probably because we are from such a small little island ourselves.

Regards

Davo
Yes we are tiny in GB, and I realise in your debate you were only talking about pies, but we too have more the one regional dish per region! America's culinary heritage is great because of the "recent" establishment and huge variety of culture influx, but we too have a good regional history in meals and dishes: done down by half a century of applaling cooking! I think per square mile the UK can stand proud!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Well said, Lulu! And let's not forget that lots of the American regional dishes have their roots in the UK, too - Cornish pasties for instance which I was surprised to hear are such a staple in mining areas of the USA, as well as fudge, fruit pies and hearty stews and casseroles!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
This might be a bit difficult to cut it down to "just one".

Even a relatively "average" sized state like Michigan can lay claim to several regional dishes. Up north there are the pasties, fudge, and cherries while downstate you have things like coney dogs and apples. Then there are all the fish from the lakes - even that can change based on where you are in the state... Perch, whitefish, salmon, walleye, etc...

I'd probably have to go with the cherries though - they have their own festival up in Traverse City each year...

John
I haven't really lived in MI long enough to figure out what the "state" regional thing is, but I agree with ronjohn, it varies from one part of the state to the other.

Hey, ronjohn, ever hear of a dish called "Traverse City Chicken"? We serve it as the standard chicken dish for large parties where I work.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I haven't really lived in MI long enough to figure out what the "state" regional thing is, but I agree with ronjohn, it varies from one part of the state to the other.

Hey, ronjohn, ever hear of a dish called "Traverse City Chicken"? We serve it as the standard chicken dish for large parties where I work.
Nope, can't say I've heard of it. I'm willing to guess it involves cherries, and possibly has no chicken to speak of in it?

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote