"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
On the question of "autolized yeast extract", would that be anything remotely similar to vegemite/marmite?
You would REALLY know if Vegemite/Marmite was in a pilaf!!! Trust me! Vegemite is a concentrate yeast extract. It was the stuff they were going to chuck out and then decided to market and us gullible Ozzies (and I guess the English and Kiwis too), fell for it hook, line and sinker!! I know a few people who put it in their gravy and just as many that get the runs when they eat said gravy!!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
You would REALLY know if Vegemite/Marmite was in a pilaf!!! Trust me! Vegemite is a concentrate yeast extract. It was the stuff they were going to chuck out and then decided to market and us gullible Ozzies (and I guess the English and Kiwis too), fell for it hook, line and sinker!! I know a few people who put it in their gravy and just as many that get the runs when they eat said gravy!!
yep, autolysed yeast is in VegemiteŽ and MarmiteŽ. The lysed bit means breaking the (yeast) cell apart, the auto means it does it by itself, ie, it dies, then the cells own enzymes consumes its own proteins, breaking them down to peptides and amino acids, of which, glutamic acid (hence glutamate) is but one.

If you want to flavour rice, use a vegetable stock and a little salt (at the end) or even chicken or lamb stock (without fat).

Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #23
Cook

This sounds do interesting - I do a fair amount of recipe development myslef & would be really interested to hear the final thing.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaza View Post
If you want to flavour rice, use a vegetable stock and a little salt (at the end) or even chicken or lamb stock (without fat).
That's basically what I do. I make pilaf by sauteeing onions, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, usually some sage, and a bay leaf. Add the rice and a little orzo pasta, and saute that until the rice and pasta is toasted. Deglaze with stock (usually chicken), bring to a boil, taste to check for seasoning (usually add more salt), cover and simmer. Yummy.

I was thinking that if someone really want to duplicate a boxed rice dish, and "autolysed yeast product" is listed as an ingredient, they could put maybe just a wee drop of vegemite into the mix.

For the record, I've never tried Vegemite. I have had in my possesion a tiny jar of Marmite, sent to me by my step-sister who lives in Christchurch, New Zealand. I never got around to tasting it before it finally got lost in one of my many moves.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
I never got around to tasting it before it finally got lost in one of my many moves.
Lucky you...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Lucky you...
Nah, you're missing out!! There is nothing quite as nice as a piece of hot buttered toast with Vegemite on it, or a fresh bread and butter sandwich with Vegemite and cheese inside! Trick is not to make it too thick cos then it can be a bit overpowering. Super salty too but packed full of B Complex vitamins!! Excellent pre-hangover food toboot!!

Bakeries here make rolls with cheese and Vegemite mixed through the dough before baking. Yummo!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
That's basically what I do. I make pilaf by sauteeing onions, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, usually some sage, and a bay leaf. Add the rice and a little orzo pasta, and saute that until the rice and pasta is toasted. Deglaze with stock (usually chicken), bring to a boil, taste to check for seasoning (usually add more salt), cover and simmer. Yummy.
<snip>
what benefit does adding the pasta have, taste-wise?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Not much, really. That's just how I was taught to make pilaf in college. I've made pilaf without the orzo pasta, and it still tastes the same. It isn't just one chef/instructor at one college, either, that uses pasta for pilaf. Look at Rice-a-Roni. Basically, it's a boxed pilaf mix, and includes vermicelli pasta with the rice.

Back to the original bit about crab cakes. Last Friday (two days ago) we had our big shin-dig for the club's 100th b-day. The Sous Chef made the crab cakes, and he used egg whites, and maybe even a little panko to bind them. They were really, really, good. But, we used mostly Dungeness crab, and he didn't use the power mixer to make the mix with. He mixed it with his gloved hands, so the texture was still there.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaza View Post
what benefit does adding the pasta have, taste-wise?

I saute the pasta in the butter until both the butter and the pasta are brown. That adds a nuttier flavor to the pilaf. Then I add the rice and cook that in the butter a little to coat the grains before I add the broth.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I guess I should have mentioned that. I saute both as well. D'Oh!