"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I just learned by watching my mother. My daughter learned by watching me as well. Mostly I created new recipes, and it seems that is what my daughter
does as well which I think is the best way. If she ever needs a recipe, I've written them down so she can have them.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My mother did not care for the kitchen. We used to tease her about having the only dusty kitchen we had ever seen - this after I left home.

My grandmother was the cook and I believe that's where I got the interest, although I don't think she ever let me do much. My two daughters are split about the kitchen the teacher hates to cook and the other enjoys it when she has the time. Both boys like the barbecue and enjoy their wives culinary skills.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My mom is an awesome cook. I still call her on occasion and I love it when she tries my food and tells me how good it is. Now I have a daughter away at college and she has started to call me asking how to make a particular dish. I love how the tradition continues.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #14
Cook

write it down?

Picking up on Amber's post, why is it that we seldom get these things written down? How many wonderful recipes get lost! My mom made this amazing strawberry cake, but sadly I didn't ask her to give me the recipe. It's as if I thought she'd always be there to give it to me and asking for it would admit the truth: someday she would be gone.

Start putting together those family recipe books!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
I dont have any kids however I get calls from my mom asking me how to cook lol.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #16
DC Grandma

My son John loves to cook so he has cooked for the past 28 years..Sandie said the other day " I guess I'm going to have to learn to cook now..LOL"

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Cooking is one of the things I miss most about my Mom - she and I traded recipes back and forth all the time. And no one was more thrilled when I went to Culinary school, something she would have dearly loved to do, but being a single mother in the 50s - no way could she do this. She's having her 90th b'day this year and she is still alert enuf (every once in a while) to ask what I'm up to in the kitchen!! Boy, how I miss her.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #18
Master Chef

I frequently call my parents for the old Czech recipes I enjoyed as a kid - & still do.

Gosh - Boiled Chicken in Sour Cream & Dill Sauce with Bread Dumplings, Czech pastries, other recipes that I can neither spell nor pronounce - lol!!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I actually call my mom to give her my recipes more than to ask for hers. She never liked cooking, and frankly, she's quite terrible at it!