Recipes from Mum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
My daughter just phoned me on the way back from collecting her little one from karate lessons. Little one had announced she would like pancakes when they got home. Daughter phoned me to remind her how to make them!

When we were first married I can remember phoning my Mother to ask her how to make brown stew. My Mother made the most wonderful stews in the world!! She baled me out with cooking advice many many times. How I miss her still and think of her when I'm cooking. She also made superlative curries. I've never been able to get close!:)

Very unselfish of my daughter as I'd have been strongly tempted to say " sorry but you've missed the boat!"

I used to call Mom and ask her (and I still do about her meatloaf that's always the best!) but lately she's been calling me!!

I never had a mother to call, but my youngest sister calls me all the time. My only daughter also calls quite often even though she is a very proficient cook. Guess I taught her well while she was at home. We swap recipes and even subscribe to some of the same food-oriented magazines. It is a lot of fun and I can see what I might have missed when I was younger.

I used to phopne my Mom all the time for recipes. unfortunately, here memory's not quite what it used to be. Then again, neither is mine.:)

My Mom has been gone for 35 yrs. ,befor I got married -never cooked, so I had to call her daily, until I got the hang of it, Bless her ! ( I was 26) Miss her so !!

Unfortunetly, Mom never really got the hang of cooking. Just wasn't her thing I guess, but we never went hungry:) Mom always put food on the table, Dad always made the more involved meals. I always get calls from Mom about cooking and many times I stop by her house to get her started. It's great living close to my parents and being able to help. I love when she calls for advice!

My mother liked to bake, but she was not a big fan of every day cooking. She was quite a perfectionist, though, so the things she did cook, she cooked extremely well. She was also good about saving things, and thanks to her, I have lots of heirloom recipes from family and friends.
As far as calling her...she called me every day, about 4:00, right after she'd had her afternoon Valium.

God bless her...sure wish I could talk to her now.

I just learned by watching my mother. My daughter learned by watching me as well. Mostly I created new recipes, and it seems that is what my daughter
does as well which I think is the best way. If she ever needs a recipe, I've written them down so she can have them.

My mother did not care for the kitchen. We used to tease her about having the only dusty kitchen we had ever seen - this after I left home.

My grandmother was the cook and I believe that's where I got the interest, although I don't think she ever let me do much. My two daughters are split about the kitchen the teacher hates to cook and the other enjoys it when she has the time. Both boys like the barbecue and enjoy their wives culinary skills.

My mom is an awesome cook. I still call her on occasion and I love it when she tries my food and tells me how good it is. Now I have a daughter away at college and she has started to call me asking how to make a particular dish. I love how the tradition continues. :)

write it down?

Picking up on Amber's post, why is it that we seldom get these things written down? How many wonderful recipes get lost! My mom made this amazing strawberry cake, but sadly I didn't ask her to give me the recipe. It's as if I thought she'd always be there to give it to me and asking for it would admit the truth: someday she would be gone.

Start putting together those family recipe books!

My son John loves to cook so he has cooked for the past 28 years..Sandie said the other day " I guess I'm going to have to learn to cook now..LOL"

Cooking is one of the things I miss most about my Mom - she and I traded recipes back and forth all the time. And no one was more thrilled when I went to Culinary school, something she would have dearly loved to do, but being a single mother in the 50s - no way could she do this. She's having her 90th b'day this year and she is still alert enuf (every once in a while) to ask what I'm up to in the kitchen!! Boy, how I miss her.

I frequently call my parents for the old Czech recipes I enjoyed as a kid - & still do.

Gosh - Boiled Chicken in Sour Cream & Dill Sauce with Bread Dumplings, Czech pastries, other recipes that I can neither spell nor pronounce - lol!!

I actually call my mom to give her my recipes more than to ask for hers. She never liked cooking, and frankly, she's quite terrible at it! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom