"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
LOL on your signature - When visiting Utah during skiing season it was said - Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you may be in Utah - that was a long time ago - the alcohol laws were very strange. You had to show proof of eating at the restaurant before you could sit at the bar and order a drink - and other things similar to that - very strange - I'm sure things are different now.
Actually . . .

Dauphine du Libre is a classic European bicycle race. I'm a guy, but the name Daphne du Libre was too good a tag to pass up. She may end up a character in a novel.

But surfing -- I just bought a board, a week ago. I live at the beach, bought a house 2 yrs ago about 8 miles inland from the Pacific and the mouth of the Columbia River. I've wanted to surf since I was about 14 (1964). Now I do.

I'm retired and life is an endless week-end bash. No kids, no spouse, just eat, drink, be merry . . . and surf. I like to cook at the beach. It often turns into a communal pot-luck beach feast.

Germanic and Dutch foods -- I'm a sucker for "Braut and Kraut" dill pickle relish, chopped onion, and Gray Poupon on a Kaiser roll.

I met a woman in Amsterdam online. She cooks up a traditional Dutch storm. She's always chatting and has a pot of potatoes, onions, peas, ham hocks on. The funny part is -- since it's legal -- she grows pot in her herbarium, off the kitchen. She's always commenting, "I put a bit in the soup, and the rest I smoked. *G* "

Daphne duLibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet
KE and IC...long time no see! I know it's my own fault but have been through many upheavals in the last year and have barely had time to draw a deep breath. Time is still dear, but at 4:30 in the morning, one may find time to do those things that you enjoy but have had to set on the back burner. Got a beautiful pork shoulder on the grill this morning and the fire needn't be fed for a while so I thought i would pop in for a spell.
Daphne I was born and raised in North carolina by Italian and French parents. My own cooking would be called "fusion" by many but I have to admit I think that term is a cop-out...all good cooks fuse the styles they are most comfortable with into their own personal style. I use a lot of classic Southern ingredients and incorporate techniques and ingredients from such diverse cultures as Italian, French, Polish, German, Carribean ( I am never sure how to spell that) Mediterranean (That either), Indian, Thai, Japanese and Chinese. Since I live on the coast a lot of "low-country" gets thrown into the mix.
Bubba, nice to see you around. Hopefully your schedule will allow you more down time.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Daphne duLibre
Actually . . .

The funny part is -- since it's legal -- she grows pot in her herbarium, off the kitchen. She's always commenting, "I put a bit in the soup, and the rest I smoked. *G* "
Pot a Soup?
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Mediteranian to Scandinavian, plus some regional American are my normal repertory. Have done some Asian from time to time.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
Master Chef
"soupe au pot"....

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote