Regional Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I don't get. At most of the Chili cookoffs, very few use fresh ingredients. Its all dried powdered stuff. At the cook off I entered I won hands down-- all fresh ingredients except for the chili powder. I didn't enter "the CASI" part as we were competing as a corporate group but the CASI people after tasting mine on the side said we should have....

Many of the chilis at these cook offs I find inedible. I guess I just expect to taste fresh peppers, good meat flavors, nice tomato flavors..plus the kick you expect from chili...

I'd treat you to some Ol' NC pork BBQ.
Vinegar based sauce, no tomato!
Serve on a cheap white bun with slightly sweet slaw.
HEAVEN!

Course, if you go down south and east a bit, it is mustard based,
and not as good, LOL!

Yes Jeff, you are right. It's mostly dried powdered stuff. It has a rich heritage though, dating back to times when people were more dependent on perserved foods.

Chili is a very regional dish. What I consider good chili may be completely unacceptable to you.

That is why my original question was, if I visited your community what would you recommend/avoid?

My area doesn't have its own spin on chili, but the butcher shops up here specialize in "ox-roast". Especially in the summer for a quick, heat it up, slap it on a bun meal. Everyone up here knows what ox-roast sandwhiches are, yet it's never offered on a menu.
Basically it's just shaved roast beef sold in a container of juice/broth. My neighbor turns his whole deer into a venison ox-roast. You drive an hour east or west of here and they never heard of it. Not sure about downstate. Maybe someone from Pittsburg would know.

Fried Mississippi Pond Raised Catfish
Hick's or Tony's Tamales
Baked Mississippi Sweet Potato
Smith County Watermelons
Pecan Pie, Pralines, Mississippi Mud Pie

Would be a few things I would recommend...

If you came to Switzerland, I would recommend anything cheese related like Raclette or even better, malakof. If you came to Kenya, I would treat you to Nyama choma, ugali and kachumbari. (grilled meat serve with ugali and Kenyan salad)Ugali is a stiff porriage made from maize meal.

Yes Jeff, you are right. It's mostly dried powdered stuff. It has a rich heritage though, dating back to times when people were more dependent on perserved foods.

Chili is a very regional dish. What I consider good chili may be completely unacceptable to you.

That is why my original question was, if I visited your community what would you recommend/avoid?

never thought about it that way..

Regional food, Indiana... Breaded tenderloins! We have a couple of places that make the best you will ever eat. Oh, and everyone makes the green bean casserole, kind of a staple at holiday meals.
Other than that, the basic foods are big around the midwest; chicken and noodles, beef & noodles, Stew, vegetable soup, pot roasts, about any meat roasted. Lots of potatos, usually baked or fried. Obviously not a lot of seafood, etc..

I'd treat you to some Ol' NC pork BBQ.
Vinegar based sauce, no tomato!
Serve on a cheap white bun with slightly sweet slaw.
HEAVEN!

Course, if you go down south and east a bit, it is mustard based,
and not as good, LOL!

Sounds similar to my pork BBQ Real vinegar bite but it does have tomato juice in it.. It MUST be served with turmeric slaw on the sandwich.

Uncle Bob - you can keep the catfish. I'll take Gulf Coast shrimp. However, I want all the tamales, sweet potatoes, watermelon, pecan pies, pralines and Mississippi Mud Pie!

I would treat you to:

Boiled Maine lobster
Steamers
Cup of clam chowdah
Boston baked beans

Uncle Bob said:
Bless Your heart! I wasn't gonna give ya any, anyway!!:-p

I can't remember the name ... but there is a little place up on the hill just south of the train station in Vicksburg - best fried rivercat po' boy you ever had.

Let the scoffers do without ...

U-turn cakes - crab cakes that are so good, you will literally make a u-turn and go back for another.

Fried Lake trout.

Kiana's Cheese steak.

Anything at lexington market - Huge food market with fresh and prepared food. awesome place.

A chicken box - it's just fried chicken and potatoe wedges, and you have to order a "half and half" with it. a half and half is 1 part lemonade and 1 part iced tea.

Those are a few things baltimore, maryland are known for.

Lots and lots of fresh seafood! Unless of course you wanted to eat kangaroo, emu, crocodile or whitchety grubs!

According to several Asians I know, Perth's dim sum restaurants are better than those in Hong Kong.

Must try - local wineries and breweries.

Stay away from most of our Mexican restaurants. I am yet to hear of an American or Mexican (or anyone used to real Mexican food) that has enjoyed what is served here.

Snoek (a barracuda type fish) with an apricot jam basting sauce and sweet potatoes barbequed on the coals
Bobotie - a ground beef dish from Cape Malay origin
Trinchado - a spicy braised beef dish from Portugese origin
Malva pudding - a baked dessert - once again with apricot jam

Michael in Ftw said:
I can't remember the name ... but there is a little place up on the hill just south of the train station in Vicksburg - best fried rivercat po' boy you ever had.

Maybe Rusty's RiverFront Grill........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom