"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #11
Master Chef

Every year I say it will be the last year I cook a turkey and every year I manage to drag one up three fights of stairs, from the garage to my little apartment!

Turkey
Mashed yellow turnip
Maple glazed carrots
Cabbage Salad
Cranberry sauce, pickles and olives
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

The best item on the menu was the cabbage salad, I added a little sour cream to the dressing. The pumpkin pie needs work, I think I will try the creamy pumpkin pie recipe that uses cream cheese.

The most exciting thing for me yesterday was when I checked my blood sugar at 5:00PM, five hours after dinner, and it came in at 130!!!

This morning I will breakdown the turkey into meal size packages and make some stock to feed the freezer.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

DH and I had a nice, quiet Thanksgiving, just the two of us. I didn't get much done in advance, so we ended up skipping the green beans and cherry sauce. I did manage to make stock from the carcass of last week's turkey on Wednesday, so the dressing and gravy were delish, and we were happy.

I took a break at one point and sat on the porch to enjoy the lovely day with a snack and a glass of apple cider sangria. Mmmmm. And I had a bit of a fail - I put my pan of yeast rolls into the microwave to rise and they stuck to the plastic wrap I had covered them with. Removing the plastic caused them to deflate, so they weren't pretty, but they were still tasty! Ah well, you win some, you lose some!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448617326617.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	23885   Click image for larger version

Name:	1448617343842.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	23887  

Old 11-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We had a little larger crowd than usual and it was fantastic. Our friend was coming because her husband had to work, but he surprised her at the last minute and got off work early, so their whole family was there! To top it off it was her birthday and he had a cake for her.

Dawgluver will be pleased to know that we had two types of stuffing and copious amounts of gravy made from drippings!

I may have overdone the eating a bit, but I'm still looking forward to leftovers!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, it is a pleasure to hear that everyone had a good day. You know what mine was like. I am up today, but for how long, I don't know. I managed to get the Chickerina Soup into me. Then back to bed. Two and a half days in bed is about all I can take. I did feel well enough to clean up the dirty sink of dishes this morning. But I am not pushing it. Pirate is still pretty sick with a fever. My biggest worry is that I don't get the flu from him.

This has not been the best Thanksgiving I have ever had. But I am so happy that everyone else did. Nothing like being surrounded with the ones you love to make the day extra special. And all the good food is a great addition to make the day.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Master Chef

We started off the day with DS and his wife over to watch the parade. I had cinnamon rolls and a breakfast casserole for us to eat. Then Son had to go to work (management at Walmart) and the rest of us went to my sister's. We met the rest of the family there and had smoked turkey, pot roast (with potatoes, onions, and carrots), dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole (yes that one but we all love it), broccoli casserole, gravy was canned since the smoked turkey doesn't leave many drippings. Pumpkin pie, Chief's S'mores bars, pecan bars, cinnamon almonds, cheese ball and crackers, holiday jelly beans. Quite a feast. We're getting really good about amounts and had few leftovers. We ate around 2 pm and snacked while we played games. We stayed and helped my sister get her house back together. She has to move furniture to fit us all. Came home and fell into a stupor in bed. Tonight, I'm cooking a ham with macaroni and cheese and green beans for DS who couldn't be with us yesterday.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I would describe our family Thanksgiving as Chaotic Fun. A few people came over early, "just to pop in for a few minutes", and stayed for quite awhile, beginning at noon before going on to dinner elsewhere. Dinner was set for 4, which means 5 ( a given). Which meant that people that started their day elsewhere began arriving for dessert sooner than expected. Well, that's the way it should be if this is the family's gathering center. So, no, there was not enough seating around the dining tables as we had planned. I think some people found this most acceptable as they could continue sitting in the den or family room with football tv still on.

There was just barely enough gravy for first portions, no 2nd helpings. There was leftover turkey and there were enough potatoes, veggies salads, etc in total, though many empty bowls. It was also BYOA. Bring your own aprons- for clean-up detail. Somebody(s) washed the turkey roaster, potato kettle, platters, anything big, in the laundry tubs and we worked in teams washing and drying dishes. With our family, this isn't exactly a practice run.

There was much laughter coming from various rooms and the most fun part I think, was having 5 little ones under age 3. 4 boys and our DGDtr. The 2 3 yo cousins play together frequently and the 3 crawlers were like human wind-up toys.

It is a moveable feast, with more holidays just around the corner.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds perfect, Whiska. Just like the family holidays should be
Old 11-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

Whiska, that sounds like my idea of a great fun filled Thanksgiving!

We had a great afternoon! Small gathering - it was just me, my daughter, SIL, and grandson Tyler. Dinner was delicious. My daughter did a great job on the turkey - crispy browned skin and tender juicy meat. She made the bread dressing separately in a casserole dish, and I brought the rest of the sides.

Thanks to the make ahead gravy, there's more than enough left to go around for all the leftovers. We all stuffed ourselves, talked, laughed, and had a great time. While she was tupperwaring up leftovers, Tyler and I played a couple of board games.

They had a couple of other places to go that afternoon, so I left around 4. I came home, put away leftovers, kicked back in the recliner, and took a nap.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I would describe our family Thanksgiving as Chaotic Fun. A few people came over early, "just to pop in for a few minutes", and stayed for quite awhile, beginning at noon before going on to dinner elsewhere. Dinner was set for 4, which means 5 ( a given). Which meant that people that started their day elsewhere began arriving for dessert sooner than expected. Well, that's the way it should be if this is the family's gathering center. So, no, there was not enough seating around the dining tables as we had planned. I think some people found this most acceptable as they could continue sitting in the den or family room with football tv still on.

There was just barely enough gravy for first portions, no 2nd helpings. There was leftover turkey and there were enough potatoes, veggies salads, etc in total, though many empty bowls. It was also BYOA. Bring your own aprons- for clean-up detail. Somebody(s) washed the turkey roaster, potato kettle, platters, anything big, in the laundry tubs and we worked in teams washing and drying dishes. With our family, this isn't exactly a practice run.

There was much laughter coming from various rooms and the most fun part I think, was having 5 little ones under age 3. 4 boys and our DGDtr. The 2 3 yo cousins play together frequently and the 3 crawlers were like human wind-up toys.

It is a moveable feast, with more holidays just around the corner.
Now that's the way Thanksgiving should be.
I think if you had added 4 more, minus the grand kids,added instead our sons friends dropping in We had the same thing going on.

Wasn't that fun? Loved every minute of it.Wouldn't have changed a thing.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

One sister and family couldn't make it because of road closures. Everyone else showed up for:
Turkey
Ham
Sage Dressing
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Mashed Cauliflower
Steamed Asparagus with fennel and a lemon butter sauce
Roasted Asparagus and fennel with a lemon butter sauce
Assorted crudites, pickles and olives
Pumpkin Pie
Low carb Pumpkin Pie

I forgot the rolls and the Cauliflower leek soup did not turn out well.

Lots of talking and laughter. Django had personal carriers for the whole day, I don't think he stepped foot on the floor while everyone was here. The Latté and Smudge hid in the box springs for the day.

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving