Reports of Thanksgiving day dinner...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too bad about your sister's gang, PF. Still, it sounds like you had a full, happy house for Thanksgiving. :heart:

I would describe our family Thanksgiving as Chaotic Fun...
Now that's the way Thanksgiving should be...Wasn't that fun? Loved every minute of it.Wouldn't have changed a thing.:wub:
Waaaa! I want holidays like you two had! I miss times like when my Mom and Dad had the four of us over along with every other stray-cat relative of ours. Dinners wtih 11, 12, 13 of us crammed around the big dining table were the norm most holidays. Now I'm lucky if the head-count is more that two. :(

It was four of us yesterday. Himself's sister came with two turkeys - the dinner kind plus her hubby. She also brought gravy and the pumpkin pie. I made lots of sides since I couldn't decide - and as it was, I still didn't bother with a couple of others either because I ran out of time/oven space or I plum forgot. We had: turkey, two stuffings (one in/one out), cranberry sauce, oh-so-good sweet potatoes, green beans with almonds, Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom casserole, roasted beets, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli. Pumpkin pie after all the dishes were cleared and the leftovers stored away. Two bottle of wine also died noble deaths. The "dead soldiers" were given proper internment into the recycling cart. ;)

There were 8 of us for dinner. I was just about to serve, when one of our guests fell on our tile floor. She hit her head pretty hard (I was in the kitchen and didn't see her fall) She was laying on the floor with her husband, mine and one other bending over her. I was going to call 911 but she said no and managed to get into a sitting position. We had made an ice pack for her head,but she had a nice bump and some bleeding..quite a bit of it, actually. We could not see a wound. Anyway, she seemed fine after about a few minutes, and we did all have a good dinner. Her husband took her to get checked out at the ER and they ran tests and said she was fine. ..I can't get the picture of her laying there out of my mind. What a day! She did tell my husband that she has been having a problem with her leg giving out.

Everyone's Thanksgiving, aside from Addie being sick and lyndalou's friend, sound like fun. I'm glad there was so much thankfulness and family time going on. Wish we could can that vibe and spray it over the world.

PF, I'm so thrilled for you with Thanksgiving in your new home, back with the family you love again. Just think...back home where you were planted at this time of year.
The song "I'll be Home for Christmas" always makes me misty, and I've always been home for Christmas.:wub:

Almost everyone's holiday sound good.

PF I can't imagine how great it felt to celebrate the holiday in your own home with your family.

Our daughter got married last November so since it's just me and Steve home now, and since our son is busy with his son and family, I told my daughter to have holidays at her house and invite everyone over there so she doesn't have to worry about where to go. Peggy (her MIL) and I bring most of the food, and I talked my daughter through her first attempt at the Portuguese style "Auntie Connie's Turkey" made with plum tomatoes, onions, and lots of white wine. She did a great job. The turkey was perfect and tender.

I think that's what I love most - passing on the recipes to the next generation.

But let's see...

I made Tiropites
Spinach & Artichoke dip (I used my homemade feta)
Cornbread stuffing with pecans and cranberries
Homemade apple cider cranberry sauce
roasted asparagus
Turkey gravy made with the plum tomato/wine drippings - mmmmmmm
Oh, and daughter is pregnant and can't eat much of anything, so I made her Cream of Asparagus soup.

Daughter made the turkey

MIL Peggy brought a ham, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls

For dessert we had
Sweet Potato Pie
Chocolate Pie
Pumpkin Bread

Not much else- we try not to go too crazy with dessert.

It was all delicious. I left all the leftovers there and then we went to the movies. I want to lose a few pounds before Istanbul and I can't do it with pies and gravy...

PF, I'm so thrilled for you with Thanksgiving in your new home, back with the family you love again. Just think...back home where you were planted at this time of year.
The song "I'll be Home for Christmas" always makes me misty, and I've always been home for Christmas.:wub:
Thank you Kayelle. It was certainly magical for me. Mom was so excited she said, "Now this is what I've been waiting for, a home cooked meal." My sisters don't cook.

Almost everyone's holiday sound good.

PF I can't imagine how great it felt to celebrate the holiday in your own home with your family.

Exhausting comes to mind:) Thanks Andy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom