"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Master Chef

Reports of Thanksgiving day dinner...?

Ours was stellar on so many levels, and we're back home safe and sound before dark.

The Webber bacon infused turkey needed further cooking in the oven but that worked out fine, and gave us more time to hold the rest of the meal and give the family more time to interact..always a good laid back thing! I'm glad we met there just after noon..so the time was good. When everything was served, the meal came together like a family who loved each other with all the flavors unique to a specific family. I'm so thankful for so many reasons.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Our Thanksgiving was a little smaller than usual as my older daughter and her family had their own Thanksgiving at their home. Her preparation of dinner was interrupted by a power failure but fortunately it ended in time for their dinner to get cooked.

My younger daughter was here with us and we had a really good visit. We had time to talk about a wide variety of topics before and during dinner.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I enjoyed last nights Thanksgiving dinner much more than tonight's. Last night I cooked a turkey, the chile rellenos casserole, taters, and dressing for 4 of us at my house. I do better in small groups. As always the pot lucks at this community are outstanding, but there were 22 folks and it was held in the community house. Fortunately we do our own separate meals for Christmas.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Wine Guy

No turkey here. We're actually having family Thanksgiving Day tomorrow. Today it was just Mrs. K and me. We had a nice dinner, though. Roast leg of lamb, cauli mash, rosemary cream gravy, caramelized Brussels sprouts, and a nice bottle of Italian Nebbiolo. For dessert, we had pumpkin spice bread.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Reports of Thanksgiving day dinner...?

For the first time in years, we stayed home, so it was just the two of us. We had my beloved stuffing, ham, and mashed potatoes with gravy. We carb loaded. Nary a green vegetable in sight. We had CP Lil Smokies in chili sauce and grape jelly earlier. I'll have to restrict my sodium and carbs for the next few months.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
We went over to Mr&Mrs DF's home about noon and stayed until about 7pm.
We had the feast-o-rama forsure.
Lunch-Dinner (we just kinda ate slow and easy through the day, course after course) started with three beautiful artisanal cheeses, salami, olives, assorted crackers and garlic humus.
Next course was a nice Kale salad;
next up was Lasagna with turkey meat balls and then the main event,
turkey breast, two kinds of stuffing casserole, mashed taters with sour cream and butter, green beans casserole, cranberries, gravy and King's Hawaiian Rolls (in our honor).
Mind you, there was only 4 of us.
Dessert was the two pies that I made the other day, Libby's Pumpkin pie and Apple Crostata, both with Reddi Wip on top.
I'M STUFFED!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook

We went to the next town over for Chinese. We would have eaten at the one here but they got new chairs. I don't like my knees at chest level.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Since we had Thanksgiving in October (Canadian, eh), we went out for date night. We went to the Jade Palace, the local Chinese resto. Cinisajoy, I must have been channelling your or vice versa.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Just us, daughter, son-in-law and beautiful six week old grandgirl (!!). We went simple and mostly homegrown. On Tuesday husband salted the turkey that a friend raised for us and I threw a loaf of herb bread in the bread machine for dressing. Mashed part of our pitiful potato crop and cracked a jar of green beans. Cauliflower mash for SIL, who can't have potatoes and sweet potatoes with butter and marshmallows as per DD's request. Pumpkin custard (=crustless pie) with whipped cream for DD, who has found she's gluten intolerant.

And gravy with cornstarch, which was good but so not the traditional gravy I (and DD) grew up with. So I saved part of the drippings for reruns with real gravy. With Wondra. And all will be right in my world.

And I made cranberry sauce but no one remembered it was in the fridge until halfway through dinner.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:16 AM   #10
Head Chef

My sister in-law cooked us a big turkey dinner and as usual, our bellies were too full for pumpkin pie right afterwards. Same thing happens every year.

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving