"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: How do you determine what each diner pays when you go out to eat as part of a group?
Each diner/couple pays an equal share 9 22.50%
Each diner/couple pays for exactly what they ate or drank 12 30.00%
Each diner/couple pays for approximately what they ate or drank 11 27.50%
One person pays the whole tab. 2 5.00%
Other (please explain) 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I agree separate checks for each couple. We had "friends" who always insisted on splitting the check...the only thing they had several drinks and we didn't, so we were always overpaying. After a few times of this, I told dh I would not go to dinner with them at all. I would really like to know what the thinking would be from someone who did this. Were we being suckers? If they considered us friends, why would they do that to us? Why would anyone think it is ok for one couple to subsidize another couple in such a way? Of course, if we invite someone to dinner, we pay all unless it is a situation where we just meet people and all pay our share. We had a rather strange situation once with someone we ate with and he put the meal on company charge card, but we paid him in cash. I thought that was very tacky, to say nothing of being dishonest. We were not clients.
There is a simple solution to this problem. If your friends are big drinkers and you don't drink at all, just ask the waitress for a separate bar tab. This is done very often and will solve that problem in a hurry. You may be surprised at how little your friends will drink then.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
When you go out to dinner as part of a group or with a friend, how do you handle the calculation of how much each person pays?

Let's assume this is not a 'thank you' dinner where you would pay it all. Just a group of folks who agreed to get together for a meal.
You made it very clear that this is not any kind of thank you but just a friendly dinner. So in that case, the tab should be equally divided. Yeah, sure, sometimes one person or couple may feel a bit cheated if they ate or drank less and yeah, sure, it could be a problem if this same group or individuals eat together often and that happens, but in general, it is easiest and, IMHO, good form to divide the total by the number of people or couples. I don't like the idea of people sitting around the table with calculators.

Having said that, though, if one person who did eat or drink substantially more than the rest pipes up with an offer to increase his or her share, then I think it's perfectly okay for the rest to take him up on his offer.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
let's say andy m. and his s.o. felt that they only had the chicken specials, "house" instead of fancy salads, no oysters, and only coffee after dinner, andy would then only put up $60 bucks to cover his share plus a measly tip, and quickly take off to the front door where the valet awaits with his ferrari .
WOW! Andy has a Ferrari? Buck up the cash you cheapskate!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I think it's easier on the waitstaff if one person pays the bill, and then get reimbursed by the others or take turns paying the bill.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I voted for #3, the approximate one. Mr HB and I enjoy our cocktails but always insist on paying more, if the other couple doesn't drink or has one glass of wine.

We used to get stiffed on splitting the bill when we'd all be on our boats, for example, and meet at a restaurant for dinner. Someone would always say, "Lets split it 8 ways". My kids may have eaten the lobster and crab platter or a hot dog but they certainly didn't drink.

It doesn't matter how much money you have, it should be split fairly, if splitting the bill is the norm.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #26
Master Chef

Since we're always out with friends, we always "rough it out". The bill comes, the "guys" round everything up per couple plus tip & that's that.

I could never understand why this is such an issue. Based on some of the replies here, I'm surprised some of you go out to eat at all - lol!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #27
Head Chef

A lot of good opinions here.

Kinda go with BT and IC on this one, with agreement with a number of others.

Usually just split the check evenly.

But one must be fair.

If someone had a glass of water and a small green salad, we just leave them out of the pot, if they want to toss in a few bucks it is up to them.

If we order the foie gras and the two pound lobsters and they order much less, just take a quick look at the check and say why don't you toss in X money and we will take care of the rest. Or we just pick up the check.

Hate it when we go out with a crowd we do not know well and everyone is left sorta free to toss in what they owe.

Have been in situations where the few of us remaining have had to pay far more than we have eaten or drank.

Or have a number of times had to chip in enough to make a decent tip.

Have had the experience, although not for many years, of having someone with a calculator at the table.

That is not a pleasant way in my opinion to end a meal.

We believe in paying our fair share and are very disappointed when others feel they do not have to.

All I can suggest is choose your dinner companions carefully, and learn to not go out with the cheapskates.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #28
Master Chef

we usually pay for our things... it's no problem for the waiter to count our things together, so we know what to pay...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I think it's easier on the waitstaff if one person pays the bill, and then get reimbursed by the others or take turns paying the bill.
It may be easier on the waitstaff, but it could be very problematic for the individuals, some of whom undoubtedly wanted to pay by credit card and now can't -- plus, there's the matter of having the correct amount to pay that one person, who may now have to bug the waitstaff for change.

As for taking turns, I think that's a great idea, but only if this is a group who regularly dines together.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Well if im out with friends.. like good friends its split in half NO matter who drank what ate what etc. but thats my inner friends.. we always say (for example if the bill is 100.45 and there is 3 of us) we always put in 40 or so in each.

However if its with people who we dont know well or want to pay for what they had we do it this way

each item on the bill example
$23.89
$10.98
$2.78
etc etc etc

we round it like
3.00 and each person pays for what they ate but we round to the nearest dollar..

THEN we see how much is left of for a tip and it usually ends up we each chip in an extra 5-10 for tip