Restaurant Check Splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you determine what each diner pays when you go out to eat as part of a group?

• Total voters
buckytom said:
ok, so when and where should i meet you guys? is it ok if i get goat cheese and pignoli nuts, or at least a measly red pepper and anchovy on my salad? :)

hey wait a minute. i don't have to wash your cars or nothin', do i?

You are welcome!

I didn't think about you washing the cars but, now that you mentioned... ;)

A fear of being stiffed has never been a problem amoung me and my friends at all that I know of. If anything, I always have a fear of stiffing my friends. We're honestly always practically fighting to pay for each other, because none of us feel comfortable being treated to anything by each other unless its our birthday. And whenever we dine out, we never find it all that uncomfortable to ask for separate checks shortly after we place our orders. I know it would be a little easier to the waiter to say it right before we place our orders, but the least awkward time is right after I've said what I want. I can say it almost as an after thought. Ex: "And I'll have the meatball lasanga please. Oh, and seperatechecksplease?"

Most often when we go out, I'll just order an app and a few beers. I still just split the check evenly with the others regardless of what they ordered. I don't feel like I'm being stiffed just because I didn't order much, heck that's what I wanted. To me it's more of a social thing being with friends. On the other hand, anytime one of my brat kids invites me to a restraunt, I get stuck with the whole darn bill! What's up with that:rolleyes:

"And whenever we dine out, we never find it all that uncomfortable to ask for separate checks shortly after we place our orders. I know it would be a little easier to the waiter to say it right before we place our orders, but the least awkward time is right after I've said what I want."

I've never worked as a server, but I can only imagine the consternation caused by choosing this "least awkward" moment. If your group all agree that separate checks is the way to go, then it's only fair and considerate to let the server know upfront, before he's put the orders on one check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom