"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Resurrection of the dinner hour

We have been shunning our dining rooms! I was watching a real estate review show that discussed new floor plans that do not include a formal dinning room and began to wonder if this is really progress.

Are we so busy that we can't take time to sit and reconnect at the end of the day, sharing experiences and taking time to savour all these meals that we spend so much time working on? Does our busy, 'bite at the bar' existence really work or is actually perpetuating a busier schedule? We never actually stop going. Maybe making time each day for dinner with family or friends would have a calming effect.

So.... at my house we are going to put this to the test. Beginning Sept 1 for an entire month we are going to have a proper dinner in the dining room at an appointed hour - no excuses. The only reason to not show would be a predetermined work schedule or trip to the ER. The menu is not important. Even if it's grilled cheese sandwiches and canned soup, we will set the table, use real plates, have no TV, laptops or cell phones in the room and spend an hour setting, enjoying and cleaning up dinner. I am betting that after a few weird evenings, we find that a new routine is established with household members finishing tasks before dinner and new and nicer vibe reigning in the evening.

Does anyone want to join me and rediscover your disappearing dining room? If so, clean off your table, put away the heaps of stuff piled in your dining room, get out the candles and channel your inner great grandmother. Keep me posted on your progress. Let's Dine!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Generally when we cook we eat at the table unless it something like a box of KD for dinner. Ordering out usually means we eat on the couch.

It is not a hard and fast rule though.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Generally when we cook we eat at the table unless it something like a box of KD for dinner. Ordering out usually means we eat on the couch.

It is not a hard and fast rule though.
We have considered take out in our plans and may still do this... but the table will be set and we will eat it together and in the absence of other distractions. There is a great Thai place nearby that we often call and would miss - but dinner on the couch or at the kitchen bar watching TV is a thing of the past. we'll see how it goes :)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Cook

Good for you! We don't have an eat-in kitchen (we're empty nesters who've down-sized from a huge house), so we have all our meals in our dining room. Of course, our new house is open-plan, so the dining room is open to the TV! It's all good!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

You are going to make allowances for when football is on right?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand your concern for loss of the 'dinner hour' and support your effort to get it back.

SO and I eat on stools at the kitchen counter. I always set the 'table' with dishes and silverware and we continue talking about the interesting aspects of the day that we started talking about over a drink.

We used to have weekend dinners at the dinner table but that has died out.

I think it's less important where you eat as opposed to what the meal represents. I insist dinner is more than a pit stop to fuel up. It's a family social event for family members to spend together. It's probably your only opportunity to share the good and bad things about the day. I believe it's especially important it there are young children in the house.

I hope you make it work Janet.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Some folks, myself included, would call Janet's dinner our supper.
Speaking of resurrections, at what time did the 'Last Supper' occur?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Some folks, myself included, would call Janet's dinner our supper.
Speaking of resurrections, at what time did the 'Last Supper' occur?
There is a clock in the background of DaVinci's painting that very clearly shows it's 7:43.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is a clock in the background of DaVinci's painting that very clearly shows it's 7:43.
P.M. ?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't feel a "formal dining room" is a prerequisite for a family meal ~~~ I Agree with Andy M....A family "diner hour" can be held on bar stools at the kitchen counter/bar etc as well as wrought iron tables on the patio or at the informal breakfast room table. Some of my favorite, and most memorable family meals were held in "Uncle Bob's Park" on a homemade picnic table behind the house, as well as in our very formal dining room. ~~~ I do agree, that regardless of the venue..the rewards of time spent with your family cannot be measured...It's priceless!!!

Have Fun!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote