S A TUR DAY NIGHT! What the Bee Gee bers is on the table tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve Kroll said:
It was really quite a dinner! I was just under the impression it would be the host & his SO, along with my wife and I, but it was dinner for eight. According to his SO, Gordon had begun planning this 4 months ago.

Though he lives in a modest house, everything was decked out to the nines when we arrived. Full table service, linen napkins, etc. We were served appetizers on the three seasons porch, and then made our way to the dining room.

I tried to take notes as best as I could during the meal, without making it too obvious. I really wished I could've taken photos, but I don't think it would've been in good taste. Anyway, here is what we had, along with the wines that were served:

[*]Mushroom Paté and Olives - Roederer Estate Brut, California
[*]Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola - Firesteed Riesling, Washington
[*]Shrimp Provençal "en Papillote" - Sterling Chardonnay, California
[*]Coq au Vin - 2003 Château La Grange, Bordeaux
[*]French Onion Soup - Grenache Syrah Blend, Rhône Valley
[*]Mango Sorbet (Palate Cleanser)
[*]Cheese Course - Manchego, Truffle, and Gouda - 2008(?) Château Pontet-Caillou, Bordeaux
[*]Crêpe Suzette - Bonny Doon Orange Muscat, California

It was really a lot of fun. Gordon says it's too much for him to do every year, and asked if one of the other couples in attendance would be interested in hosting it next year. I'm seriously thinking about it.

That sounds fantastic, Steve!

It was really quite a dinner! I was just under the impression it would be the host & his SO, along with my wife and I, but it was dinner for eight. According to his SO, Gordon had begun planning this 4 months ago.

Though he lives in a modest house, everything was decked out to the nines when we arrived. Full table service, linen napkins, etc. We were served appetizers on the three seasons porch, and then made our way to the dining room.

I tried to take notes as best as I could during the meal, without making it too obvious. I really wished I could've taken photos, but I don't think it would've been in good taste. Anyway, here is what we had, along with the wines that were served:

1. Mushroom Paté and Olives - Roederer Estate Brut, California
  2. Salad with Pear, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola - Firesteed Riesling, Washington
  3. Shrimp Provençal "en Papillote" - Sterling Chardonnay, California
  4. Coq au Vin - 2003 Château La Grange, Bordeaux
  5. French Onion Soup - Grenache Syrah Blend, Rhône Valley
  6. Mango Sorbet (Palate Cleanser)
  7. Cheese Course - Manchego, Truffle, and Gouda - 2008(?) Château Pontet-Caillou, Bordeaux
  8. Crêpe Suzette - Bonny Doon Orange Muscat, California
It was really a lot of fun. Gordon says it's too much for him to do every year, and asked if one of the other couples in attendance would be interested in hosting it next year. I'm seriously thinking about it.

That does sound like a lot of fun!

I think it would be a fun challenge to do it using only locally produced food and wine.

I've been suffering from the cold from h*ll for the past week & a half, so last night - it being somewhat raw & nasty out - I cooked up a quick but satisfying pot of Turkey Kielbasa, Kale, & Potato Soup (Red Russian Kale courtesy of our local farmers market, which had its opening day of the season yesterday).

I went to the Danish Club's 90th Anniversary supper party. We had roast pork the Danes roast pork, so there was lots of crispy rind. It was served with mashed potatoes, gravy, sugar/butter browned baby potatoes, peas & carrots, and rødkål (Danish style red cabbage). Dessert was æblekage

gammeldagsaeblekage.jpg
But not in individual servings and

Kransekage, like the little ones in the front. It's the same stuff, but Danes like it so much they want to be able to have it without the rigmarole of the big one.

kransekage.jpg

I went to the Danish Club's 90th Anniversary supper party. We had roast pork the Danes roast pork, so there was lots of crispy rind. It was served with mashed potatoes, gravy, sugar/butter browned baby potatoes, peas & carrots, and rødkål (Danish style red cabbage). Dessert was æblekage
Being of half-Danish ancestry myself, I need to start looking into some of these dishes. They sound similar to things my grandmother used to make. Red cabbage was practically a staple in our house growing up. I still love it, but can't get DW or DD to touch the stuff, no matter what I do to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom