Saint Patrick's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandmother used to make cake with pistachio pudding. Only she'd put the pudding between 2 layers of cake and use green food coloring for the icing.

There were several thread related to this so I just picked one. I generally don't do anything for St. Patrick's Day, but I figured since I have an exchange student here I should show him what most Westerners do for it. My family has never had the traditional St. Patty's meal of corned beef and cabbage, so I have no clue how to cook it. I couldn't find a thread with any instructions, so help me out here, what do I do? How do I cook the beef/cabbage/potatoes? What else is good with it?

There were several thread related to this so I just picked one. I generally don't do anything for St. Patrick's Day, but I figured since I have an exchange student here I should show him what most Westerners do for it. My family has never had the traditional St. Patty's meal of corned beef and cabbage, so I have no clue how to cook it. I couldn't find a thread with any instructions, so help me out here, what do I do? How do I cook the beef/cabbage/potatoes? What else is good with it?

Check this out: St. Patricks Day: Corned Beef & Cabbage recipe - Slashfood

Just keep clicking on the arrows ;) HTH.

Drink a few Guinness and the ideas will come to you. Become creative.
If you are serving to family and friends I would make the traditional fare, however, add some new additions.
My dad loves to smash his peas into his mashed potatoes..it looks perfect for St. Pat's.

I would simmer frozen peas, add some sauteed shallots, salt, pepper and puree.
Then fold it into the mashed potatoes.
It's worth a try???

amaninthekitchen.com

After years of making the traditional boring "boiled" corned beef & cabbage dinner (always adding in turkey kielbasa for non-meat-eating husband), I finally decided to heck with tradition & for the past several years have a made a meal that's actually enjoyable for both of us.

Regular boiled corned beef (& turkey kielbasa for the husband) along with butter-sauteed sliced cabbage & oven-roasted root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, onions, & garlic). MUCH nicer, in my opinion. And plenty of Guinness, of course.

And of course I've already laid in the fixings for those great Reuben sandwiches (sauerkraut, seeded rye bread, swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing. . . .).

He He, Lol, i'll be cooking Turkey and Ham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am i letting the side down? or a meal that has become very traditional in modern Ireland - take out chinese!!!!!! But i will be going to the Paddies day parade and standing in the cold pouring rain watching 100's of scouts and girl guides walking down O'Connell Street!

Thanks! That was exactly what I needed! (Except the Guinness. lol. I don't actually drink alcohol. Never have, never will).

I think I'll use a combination of these ideas, and I'll definitely use my slow cooker.

QSis, what is the sugar amount? I think it is 1/2 cup?
This recipe sounds right up my husbands alley.

I won't be home.
But every year, when I'm not working, I do the typical for my Irish husband.
So it's.................

Corned Beef
Cabbage with butter/parm cheese/vinegar/salt/pepper, sliced thin
Boiled potatoes with butter/parsley/salt/pepper/sour cream
Irish soda bread from scratch with butter
Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake

I 'will' make it sometime next week though, just not the actual day, but it's probably okay cause hub is still really sick.
Wonder how hard it'd be to get to County Galway in time for St. Pats day? So gorgeous there...the link is where we stayed.....
We were informed that his last name is from the O'Kerrigan clan, they were right, he is............​

There be those in my family that have troubel with cooked cabbage. Soooooo, I'm making a boiled dinner of corned beef, potatoes, carrots, onion, and rutabegga, which is a cross between a turnip and a cabbage, with similar, but sweeter flavor. Which I could get my hands on some celery root (celriac). It would go perfectly in the boiled dinner. I'm thinking some good home-made bread would go nicely with this meal.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yes, LEFSElover, it's 1/2 cup of sugar - I went back and corrected the recipe.

Hope you and your husband enjoy the cake - it's as pretty as it is delicious!

Lee

I am trying to think of something to make. Any suggestions?

If your not a fan of corned beef & cabbage, or want to try something a little different...

Lamb chops (topped w mint/basil/walnut or pine nut pesto or served on the side).

Baby red potato/dill salad.

Green beans or roasted brussels sprouts (luv those baby cabbages).

Here's a recipe I make as an appy, but would dress up the plate & add some green:

Caesar salad in crouton cups:
Caesar Salad in Crouton Cups

For an appy, here's a suggestion & a recipe I like:
True Blue Cocktail Bites w walnuts & bleu cheese (garnished w parsley)
Cocktail Bites

Dessert - Key Lime Pie

Last edited:
Corned Beef and Cabbage

Slave to tradition I made the requisite Corned Beef and Cabbage. This was my first time but it came out great! Kept it simple and standard. I find that with holiday foods people (at least the people I live with) want tradition and not innovation so its not the time to throw a culinary curveball. I resisted the urge to do anuthing "fancy" and just followed a basic recipe. Here are some tips I found helpful.

1. Make sure there is enough broth to cover to potatos when it is time to add them
2. Bring the corned beef to a biol on the stovetop but simmer in the oven this gives more even heat.
3. Throw in a few carrots with the potatos they add nicely to the broth flavor.
4. Pull out the beef and let it cool down when you add the cabbage (this leaves room to submerge the cabbage and the meat is ready to cut when the cabbage is done)
5. Replace at least half the water with Beer (I also threw is a little apple juice and some white wine vinegar.

Well the corned beef is in the crock pot. This is my first time doing it so I hope it goes well. I was just disappointed that I couldn't find any parsnips, which I thought would have been really good with it. (I bought some seeds so I wouldn't have that problem in the future). I think I'll cook some green garlic mashed potatoes this evening too. That sounds really good to me.

Back
Top Bottom