Sat. dinner..4/16/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good, Kayelle! It's grilling weather here today, too! I'm going to make grilled shrimp tacos with spicy jicama-cabbage-red onion slaw.

We are having friends/neighbors over. I am fixing a baked smoked ham, cheesy mashed potatoes with green chiles, and green beans. They are bring a raspberry chocolate torte.

It is very hard to find good hams here, so I bought three around Easter and put two of them in the freezer. This is the first one out of the freezer.

Last edited:
Trying a new recipe tonight. A Thai recipe called Pad See Yew. It's a shrimp and rice stick noodle dish with miso and bok choy.

I've got a chicken in the roaster, and Rina's got her sauteed zucchini and yellow squash happening, and there are sweet potatoes in the oven.

I made the butter and brown sugar and cinnamon mix for the taters, and I'm drooling!

I better go, or I'll short out my laptop with drool. LOL!

Great sounding dinners!
I had a cucumber, tomato, red onion, and feta salad over spinach. Mixed up a quick dressing of olive oil, vinegar, and Penzey's Greek seasoning. A few Triscuits on the side for some salt and crunch.

Thanksgiving in April. I had a nice bone in turkey breast. I rubbed it in butter, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and seared it in the cast iron skillet and then baked it for an hour in the cast iron in the stove.

Served with Stove Top instant stuffing, fresh made mashed potatoes, jarred gravy, and green beans.

Trying a new recipe tonight. A Thai recipe called Pad See Yew. It's a shrimp and rice stick noodle dish with miso and bok choy.

I got this recipe from the F&W website. It is really salty and inedible. We picked out the shrimp and bok choy and made that the meal.

Sounds good, Kayelle! It's grilling weather here today, too! I'm going to make grilled shrimp tacos with spicy jicama-cabbage-red onion slaw.

Actually GG, I have better luck with it in a 400 degree oven. I made up my own spice mix for it with herbs de Provence, kosher salt and a tiny bit of my new powdered vinegar for a little zing. Stuffed some thyme sprigs under the skin too and I'm using wine tonight instead of beer. :yum:

Those shrimp tacos on the grill sound fabulous!!

Andy, what a shame! I've dared to take a chance with a new recipe with company. Glad that wasn't your case!

Great sounding dinners tonight folks!

Last edited:
I'm going to try a cheddar and Gruyere cheese cream sauce over macaroni and chicken drumsticks in hoisin sauce. It's sort of a weird combination, but I don't have enough chicken to make a full meal and I wanted to get rid of the macaroni and try the cheese sauce. Now I can do both!

We went to a rather odd concert tonight, and afterwards went to a popular (very loud) local watering hole. Split a ribeye, salad, and some steamed veggies. Steak and salad were quite good, veggies not so much. They forgot our sauteed mushrooms that were supposed to go with the ribeye (we forgot them too) so got them to go.

Last edited:
I'm going to try a cheddar and Gruyere cheese cream sauce over macaroni and chicken drumsticks in hoisin sauce. It's sort of a weird combination, but I don't have enough chicken to make a full meal and I wanted to get rid of the macaroni and try the cheese sauce. Now I can do both!

RT, I'm trying to wrap my imagination around that odd (to me) flavor profile. How did it turn out? :huh:

We spent the greater part of the afternoon and evening out and about today, so we just picked up a pepperoni pizza at a take-away shop. No biggie, but it filled the hungry holes in our tummies.

I got this recipe from the F&W website. It is really salty and inedible. We picked out the shrimp and bok choy and made that the meal.
That's a shame, Andy. At least you were able to salvage some of the ingredients.

We went to a rather odd concert tonight...
OK, prying curious minds want to know. What kind of concert did you go to? :ermm:

We had chicken cutlets breaded with panko then fried. Topped them with some pesto I made from our homemade oven dried tomatos, cashews and the other regular indgredients. A really good batch of pesto. Had to put the top on the food processor to keep us from sticking a spoon in there and tasting while we finished up the rest of the stuff and started a long-cooking dinner for another night. Craig made his brussel sprouts with bacon and balsamic vingegar. Bit of an odd combo but we needed to use up the brussel sprouts and we like them like that.

Started a beef bourguignon using a recipe from ATK. A "modern" version done entirely in the oven. Haven't tasted any of it yet but it sure smells REALLY good. It's probably going to take the better part of 5 hours total by the time it's done but most of that is inactive time.

OK, prying curious minds want to know. What kind of concert did you go to? :ermm:

CG, the local symphony orchestra paired up with a famous harmonica player. He was billed as playing Latin America style. Great, we thought. Merengue, salsa, etc. First half was just the orchestra, which was very pleasant. Second half, the harmonica guy joined them. Not so pleasant. And it sure didn't sound Latin American. As DH mentioned, it made him anxious. We were relieved when it ended.

RT, I'm trying to wrap my imagination around that odd (to me) flavor profile. How did it turn out? :huh:

If I like it, I can eat anything anytime anywhere. I figured the mac and cheese wouldn't be any different than having potatoes with baked chicken. Potatoes, baked chicken > mac and cheese, hoisin chicken. OK, that's like a point under a big hat - there's a connection there, just hard to see. :LOL:

Anyway, the hoisin chicken was good. I've had that before and I enjoy it.

However, the cream sauce on the macaroni...I wasn't blown away. The original recipe called for Gorgonzola cheese and stuffed ravioli. That might have been really good, especially with some fresh parsley on top.

What I actually ended up doing was finally figuring out how to replicate Stouffers frozen Mac and Cheese. I like Stouffers, so I think the next time I make Mac and cheese, I'll make the cram sauce with the cheese and then scatter some bread crumbs on top and stick it under the broiler for a minute or two.

And if I figure out a way to jazz up the cheese sauce, I think I might be able to use it somewhere else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom