Sat. dinner. Dec 6, '14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a RAV4. Very nice. My daughter has one and loves it. They're practically bullet-proof. You'll get tired of it before it dies on you.

Yeah, it's a RAV4. It's the third one we've had now, and will be primarily DW's car. We almost didn't buy another one, simply because the salesman stupidly said, "it's a popular choice among older people" in front of my wife.

I don't know why he thought that would be a selling point.

Yeah, it's a RAV4. It's the third one we've had now, and will be primarily DW's car. We almost didn't buy another one, simply because the salesman stupidly said, "it's a popular choice among older people" in front of my wife.

OMG......I would have clocked the little whippersnapper! :bb:

What a beautiful car, and I love the color.

OMG......I would have clocked the little whippersnapper! :bb:

What a beautiful car, and I love the color.

Yeah. That was not the brightest thing he could have said. I would send him a short curt note and remind him of what he said. Maybe he will think twice before he opens his mouth again.

Oh, one more thing. It is a nice looking car. If your wife has had one before and liked it, why not repeat the choice. It does look so shiny and new. Certainly calls for dinner out. :angel:

We almost didn't buy another one, simply because the salesman stupidly said, "it's a popular choice among older people" in front of my wife.

We actually left a dealership because the salesman kept talking to my husband about the vehicle, even though we had made clear that it was for me. We also told him we wanted a hybrid and he kept talking about other models. They work on commission. He wasn't getting ours.

We actually left a dealership because the salesman kept talking to my husband about the vehicle, even though we had made clear that it was for me. We also told him we wanted a hybrid and he kept talking about other models. They work on commission. He wasn't getting ours.

I had a similar experience years ago with my ex. We were shopping for her car. The salesman kept asking me questions. Each time I pointedly looked at my wife and she answered. He just didn't get it.

On the other hand, My younger daughter took me car shopping about 12 years ago and I sat back and watched her in action. The salesman dealt with her and she got a better deal than I thought she could.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience years ago with my ex. We were shopping for her car. The salesman kept asking me questions. Each time I pointedly looked at my wife and she answered. He just didn't get it.

Exactly why I hate shopping for a car and haven't done it since 1999. Sooner or later my comfortable and beautiful old Cadillac will bite the dust when I'll sell it online as a "classic" and buy something else online.

Last edited:
I hate buying a car. I go in with financing already in place, test drive the car and tell them the price I want. I give them 20 minutes to give me an answer or I'm gone. Then they have one hour to get the paperwork ready and me out the door. I'm nice but firm, they will not waste my time keeping me there all day trying to wear me down.

I hate buying a car. I go in with financing already in place, test drive the car and tell them the price I want. I give them 20 minutes to give me an answer or I'm gone. Then they have one hour to get the paperwork ready and me out the door. I'm nice but firm, they will not waste my time keeping me there all day trying to wear me down.

No such thing with Toyota, and one of the reasons we keep going back. I get a firm price over the phone or email, and there's no dickering or bickering. All we do is go in and fill out the paperwork, and off we go. We were at the dealership yesterday for a total of 45 minutes.

The salesman wasn't as bad as I let on. I cut him some slack because he was just a kid, and otherwise a very nice guy.

I've been spoiled. My FIL is retired from Ford so we've always gotten new vehicles from there with the family plan. It's a set price with a specific discount off of retail, so no haggling.

No such thing with Toyota, and one of the reasons we keep going back. I get a firm price over the phone or email, and there's no dickering or bickering. All we do is go in and fill out the paperwork, and off we go. We were at the dealership yesterday for a total of 45 minutes.

The salesman wasn't as bad as I let on. I cut him some slack because he was just a kid, and otherwise a very nice guy.

When buying brand new that's easy to do. Buying fairly new, used cars as we do, I want to check out and drive the car, and there is usually a little more wiggle room. I like to buy used from a new car dealer of that brand to get "certified" used, often warranties can be transferred on these when they can't be at other places because they aren't certified.

A number of years back, we had a dealership that would offer to park your car for you. If you were unhappy and wanted to leave, they all of a sudden couldn't find the person who had your keys and was supposed to be parking your car. And when you looked for your car it was nowhere to be found on the lot. One customer got smart and called the police that he was being held against his will and that h is car had been stolen. The dealership ended up being closed down by the state. :angel:

A number of years back, we had a dealership that would offer to park your car for you. If you were unhappy and wanted to leave, they all of a sudden couldn't find the person who had your keys and was supposed to be parking your car. And when you looked for your car it was nowhere to be found on the lot. One customer got smart and called the police that he was being held against his will and that h is car had been stolen. The dealership ended up being closed down by the state. :angel:

Luckily I haven't had that happen, but they usually ask for your keys so that they can go check out the car. I had one dealer that kept giving me the run around when I wanted to leave (his numbers looked nothing like what I was quoted). Lesson learned, I get a spare key and give them that, so if I want to leave I still have my original in my pocket. This will be harder when every car has those fancy keys, but for the time being I still have a basic key.

Back
Top Bottom