"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Don't know what we'll be eating yet. Today is the farmer's market, so we will see what they have.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Dinner didn't matter to me. I was going to try to make something interesting for dessert, but my dad prefers his fruit just macerated and served with ice cream, so that ruled out any of my ideas for peach pies, cobblers, johnnycakes, etc.

I'm having chicken kabob, rice, and grilled vegetables.
For dessert, which is what I'm in charge of, peaches and blueberries with ice cream. The peaches are delicious right now. Maybe I'll bake some with a crumble topping too, since there will be 15 people or so for dinner.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks to another unbelievably good Italian lunch...this time thanks to a bakery that I think might just be heaven....we are just snacking for supper. Lunch was: a piece of pizza...mine had the most delicious corgettes in it and the husband went for prosciutto, then a wonderful strawberry, pastry with flaked almonds and whipped cream. We had loose arangements to meet some people for supper, but I'm just too full. Its still very hot here....it hit 39 degrees late this afternoon, and the food has gone to our heads as well as our stomachs. so, more fresh fruit and oodles of water. We bought some dear little figs, more peaches and plums.

I could eat and eat and eat here in Milan, but sometimes my stomach gives up before my curiosity.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #14
Executive Chef

whole wheat biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
wholewheat biscuits if I can find a really good recipe and flan with figs, strawberries and blueberries.

Whoa, got one for you.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups whole wheat flour (soft, pastry, cake, whatever you want to call it, can even use hard flour, but soft makes a lighter biscuit)
2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3 T. butter
1 cup buttermilk or yogurt

Sift dry ingredients.
Cut in butter.
Add buttermilk all at once.
Stir.
Turn out on floured board and knead 30 seconds.
Roll or pat to 1/2 inch thick, cut
Bake on ungreased sheet at 450 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Yields 5 large or 10 small biscuits.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Now I want to make biscuits and make peach shortcakes with them.

But I just threw out the buttermilk. It was pretty old.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Curious, what do you pay for Lobster on sale there ? I would love to live where sefood is so plentiful !
They are on sale for $5.99 lb. which is pretty good, though they are soft-shell lobsters. Your right, there is alot of seafood here, but it's pretty expensive for lobsters usually. Depends on how good the lobster season is I suppose.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Thanks, I love lobster, but don't have them very often
Old 09-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanks again, Beth. I will make them today for sure!
Old 09-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
So far it's a concocted soup of some sort. It has chicken, chicken broth, red beans, brown rice, onions, garlic, & parsley. It smells pretty good at least. I just hope it tastes OK.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

My son who doesn't attend the sunday dinners here do to living to far away is having dinner with us and has asked for a silly dish I made up after eating at a fish place in San Francisco. It was one of those bet ya can't make it things my kids pull on me..So he is getting a recipe that you could use as a meat sauce if inclined.
evoo, tomatoes chopped,onions chopped,garlic,crushed,a small amount of tomatoe paste (tube type) chopped parsley,marjoram,rosemary,basil and oregano,thyme...add some chicken or beef stock and red wine,salt and pepper, let simmer 4-5 hrs at the end add shrimp scallops and red pepper flakes, (now I add enough that both my boys come to the table with a hankie but can still taste the sauce) and a small amount of butter.I put this over fettuccini and serve a green salad and french bread with garlic and parmesan on it. There will also be some sliced melons, peaches and my son's favorite thing I make cream puffs..Looking forward to this evening it's a special treat for me

kadesma