Sat. Supper 12/8/18 Nat. Brownie Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be doing Sousvide with a 2 lb. Rib Eye and finishing it on Wilma, the searing side burner of the grill. Baked spuds and loaded salad will make us think of Summer.

What's going on at your house and is anyone baking brownies?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to brave the cold and grill some country-style ribs. Sides remain undecided but may include Tater Tots.

I'm going to brave the cold and grill some country-style ribs. Sides remain undecided but may include Tater Tots.

Just got a notice of a "Flash Sale" from our local Penn Dutch, Country Style ribs for $.99 per pound. I'll be grabbing some. If nothing else, they are perfect for green chili stew!

Trying a new recipe from Food and Wine magazine tonight.

Last edited:
I made dough for a quiche crust two days ago, so I'll be pulling that out of the fridge to start prepping soon. I'll also make spinach salads with bacon, olives, mushrooms, tomatoes...and maybe a hard-cooked egg. The Williams-Sonoma recipe for the quiche calls for only three eggs, so it's not like I'm trying to kill us.

Last edited:
BBQ lamb chops, meat patties, sausages and salads for me. Family here for grandsons 6th birthday. Oh, and a pot of creamy mash spuds.

Russ

I'll be doing Sousvide with a 2 lb. Rib Eye and finishing it on Wilma, the searing side burner of the grill. Baked spuds and loaded salad will make us think of Summer.

I'm almost done with an 18-hour sous vide soak of a Chuck Roast. More later...

CD

A kinda snacky day so, we just had green salad with salami and cheese bits..

I did bake a bread pudding yesterday so, we will finish that off later.. :yum:

Ross

Did we time travel back to January?

Dinner plate sized potato rosti using spiralized starchy potatoes. Toppings were creme fraiche, deli mustard, pastrami, thinly sliced deli dill pickles, dill fronds and green onions. Craig had a couple of fried eggs on his slices.

Attachments

• 2018-12-08 18.24.35.jpg
    2018-12-08 18.24.35.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 168
Cold meatloaf sandwich with Bacon strips, a little raw onion, also tomato and iceberg, mayo and bbq sauce on sourdough. Pickles and wavy potato chips, sour cream ranch dip.

So where are the brownies??? I could eat brownies as a main course!

I had some soup from the freezer, but I made a small batch of brownies, to test an idea for a batch I will be making for Christmas day. I only made a 1/4 recipe, baking it in a loaf pan, with about 1/4 the base area of a 9 x 13 pan. What I did was make the caramel to put in between the two layers a butterscotch, rather than plain caramel, and it was delicious. At first, I wasn't sure it would be good with chocolate, but then I remembered a number of chocolate bourbon recipes that were delicious, so why not add the scotch!

Your brownies sound great Dave!

"Wilma" did a fine job of searing the SV rib eye and the little casseroles are LP's famous Mushroom Gratin. :yum:

Attachments

• PC080029[1].jpg
    PC080029[1].jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 142
  • PC080031[1].jpg
    PC080031[1].jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 134
My 18-hour chuck roast came out nice and tender, although a little dry. A dip into au jus took care of that. Sides were garlic mash, and some Green Giant cheesy broc.

CD

Attachments

• Beef001.jpg
    Beef001.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 133
I have yet to find a quiche recipe I really like. Even blind baking the crust before filling it didn't make the bottom dry enough. Still tasty enough.

The closest I got to brownies was the cup of hot cocoa I'm sipping on now.
IMG_20181208_231731795.jpg

Saturday's One-Too-Many BBQ Burgers, Baked Spud w/ Sour Cream, Mushrooms in Butter and Pinot Noir, Green Bean Fries (Air Fryer)

Burgers, BBQ, Green Bean Fries, Mushrooms.jpg

I have yet to find a quiche recipe I really like. Even blind baking the crust before filling it didn't make the bottom dry enough. Still tasty enough.

The closest I got to brownies was the cup of hot cocoa I'm sipping on now.
View attachment 32499
Try brushing the crust with a beaten egg before blind baking. It will create a seal that will prevent the crust from getting soggy.

Back
Top Bottom