"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Jr called and said they are driving into the city tomorrow, so I invited them for lunch/ dinner. Saving making today's chicken casserole til then.

Tonight I am having an everything bagel, cream cheese, hot smoked peppered salmon and a little red onion on top. And a bowl of tomato basil soup. Oyster Crackers.

I went to the store today in search of Oysters for oyster stew, don't know where Steve K finds his, not at my market I guess. I don't usually Like oysters that much, but I like the flavor. At the store, there was a frenzy, pending the up-coming week's cold snap. No Carts available. The fresh flowers were almost sold out. I guess it's nice to think of your sweetie in times like this. What's worse, there was almost a Riot in the Soft Drink Aisle. NO Coca Cola. They were on sale, but really , not that big a sale. . I would have avoided and probably wouldn't have notice except this was near where I got in line to pay and go. Get as Fast As I Could. The temp dropped only 5 degrees from when I started out until I got home again.

Ahh. Hot Soup. Slippers. Football Playoffs on the tv. I think my Kids missed me. I'm staying In.
Wow. What a bummer all the way around. I hate shopping excursions like that.
All this talk of oyster stew... I'll have to pick some up and make some again. I saw live oysters at my store earlier this week, so they are still getting them in.

I picked up a pizza when I was out around 3:30, so wasn't really hungry enough to make supper later. I did have one Klondike bar left though...

Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #12
Master Chef

we had pork Schnitzel with french fries.
still some left, they were huge - so maybe cold Schnitzel for Breakfast? ;o)

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
we had pork Schnitzel with french fries.
still some left, they were huge - so maybe cold Schnitzel for Breakfast? ;o)
I always make enough schnitzel that we can use it for sandwiches.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #14
Master Chef

Frank likes them cold, but I don't... so he can have the rest of it..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Beef rolatini in Sunday gravy, with bucatini.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Craig, is beef rolatini the same as braciole ? and are they both the same as the German rouladen n?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

"Wow. What a bummer all the way around. I hate shopping excursions like that."

I didn't mean to imply anything negative about yesterday's shopping experience. They have free coffee right inside the door, which is a good place to warm up and wait your turn for a cart. I take the bus, so I don't care if their parking lot is full and cars are circling the overflow parking lot too. However, I agree, the smart person does not wait to go shopping on a Saturday!

in the 24 hours since, I forget what I thought I so desperately needed and can think of 3 more things I should have gotten. I'm not going out today!

I just step over the bodies beside in the soda pop aisle. I figure it's one less person waiting in line ahead of me.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Sous Chef

We had left over Sauerbraten from NY day. I made some fresh Spätzel to go with it along with a salad.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
This sounds like a terrific ham glaze and sauce. By the spoonful !
Thank you it was quite nice.

I got the recipe from the Ninja 3-in-1 cooker, I'm growing fond of this cooker. I used spiced rum because I was all out of bourbon.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Craig, is beef rolatini the same as braciole ? and are they both the same as the German rouladen n?

Thanks.
Don't know. I use thin sliced sirloin tip roast or round roast, pound it thinner and marinade in a mixture of garlic, olive oil and red wine for a few hours. Then I lay them out individually and in the upper third place a layer of basil or spinach, layer of pepperoni, layer of my version of mushroom duxelles and strips of provolone. Roll them up like a burrito, seal with tooth picks, brown them in a saute pan and add to the Sunday gravy to cook through. I remove them to a baking dish with some of the gravy, cover each with a slice of provolone and bake at 350 F until the cheese melts. Meanwhile, I skim the gravy and serve it with the bucatini.

Tags
dinner