Saturday, 1/29/2011, What's on the table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I was planning chicken ala king BUT you never know.

Any plans?

My hubby's feeling sick tonight and needed something nice and light for dinner. I had a smidge of fresh pineapple leftover from my Pineapple Upside Down Cake that I made last night and a couple mangoes that were on their way out and had to be used. I wanted to make one of our favorite sides I discovered awhile back, Warm Mango Salsa......YUMMY!

Normally this would go over some nice grilled fish or some pork chops or chicken but all that was too involved and too heavy. So I took a chance and improvised.

I diced up some eggplant and cut up an ear of fresh sweet corn, sauteed with a bit of extra light extra virgin olive oil and about a tablespoon of butter, pinch of salt, white pepper and a dash of coriander. Then I made my Warm Mango Salsa, mixed the two together and served over fettuccine noodles.

It probably sounds like a weird combo but it turned out great....light but flavorful. Easy on the palette and the stomach. This salsa is fantastic because it's sweet and tangy with just enough heat, that combined with the diced eggplant and sweet corn made a really nice consistency.

I'm thinking quiche. I have leftover Mushroom Gratin, bacon and frozen spinach.

I'll take the spinach and put it in a strainer and just let it thaw and squeeze out all the liquid, then refreeze whatever I don't use.

Hints or ideas would be welcome.:chef:

We had planned to head into the city for some shopping and eating, but it is snowing pretty hard. No driving today. I just pulled some Rib steaks for my daughter and I and a filet mignon for my wife. Maybe do some mushrooms au gratin and some sort of veggie. I haven`t had escargot for a while so I will recomend that for a starter, but my wife says she can`t eat escargot and a steak dinner in one sitting. She can watch me do it, then, lol:pig:

Last edited:
I'll take her spot, Rock. I love escargot and steak.

I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for yet. I'm getting into a cooking funk. Maybe steak and potatoes if nothing else crosses my mind. I could really go for some city chicken, but don't want to make the drive into town either.

I will probably be prepping a frying meatballs, braciole and sausage today to simmer in "gravy" tomorrow. It will be a busy day!! LOL A YUMMY busy day.

Just started defrosting some pulled pork shoulder from my last all day cook. We'll have baked beans and coleslaw with it. Sunday will be grilled turkey breast which will be brined tonight.

Craig

Hello,

It's a beautiful sunny day even if there are mountains of snow everywhere and another possible storm headed our way for the early part of next week ... enough already.

Dinner tonight will be individual chicken pot pies and a nice big salad.

Enjoy the day:chef:

Spent the early morning in the ER with my oldest. He has a kidney stone. Only got about 3 hours sleep. Just checking in here before nap! Have plenty of leftovers. Meatball subs, meatloaf, potato salad, tossed salad, hot dogs, veggie cheese soup and turkey for sandwiches. It'll be whatever you want to microwave day.

Spent the early morning in the ER with my oldest. He has a kidney stone. Only got about 3 hours sleep. Just checking in here before nap! Have plenty of leftovers. Meatball subs, meatloaf, potato salad, tossed salad, hot dogs, veggie cheese soup and turkey for sandwiches. It'll be whatever you want to microwave day.
OH!! I hope he feels better soon. Thats no fun I know.

I've got a couple of ideas I'm trying to lighten up. Making a shopping list now. Am going to try to make a version of potato soup and a mexican lasagna...we'll see how things progress.

Lunch – Iceberg lettuce (last of the lettuce from tacos), vine tomatoes, solid white tuna, Dijon basil vinaigrette (I added soy sauce, hot chili sesame oil, sesame oil and a pinch of honey), toasted black and white sesame seeds.

img_964342_0_a3e4f093995092fdbab5ef47d647ca01.jpg

MsMofet....now I'm hungry! That looks delicious!
Thank you!! I am really loving these vine tomatoes!! I used 1 for the salad and am thinking of going and having another for a snack with just some salt.

Just made Pizza. kneaded the dough last night. It was ready for stretching today. made a cheese pizza and a red onion one. They were about 8 inches. perfect. Now will start making cookies for tonight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom