Saturday 12/10/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good looking Swedish meatballs 'n gravy, Andy. It's been a year or so since I've made them, thinking it's about time to make some again. :yum:

RR, I'm glad you were happy with your meat loaf. Like Kay, I always free form meat loaves - I love the all around crust rather than it stuffed in a loaf pan. Although you could use the loaf pan to shape it, then turn it out into a baking dish, but then you'd have another pan to wash. :ermm:
Everyone's dinners this evening sounds delicious!

Last edited:
For me, two slices of French toast. For Pirate, bacon and poached eggs, and toast with home fries.

I'm late for tonight's dinner party (normal, eh?), but we had pork roast and sauerkraut cooked in the slow cooker, along with very creamy mashed potatoes (note to self: don't pour with the left hand), pickled beets, and the last of the butternut squash from yesterday. :huh: Or Thursday. :unsure:

Attachments

• 2016-12-10 21.42.29.jpg
    2016-12-10 21.42.29.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 101
Our homegrown fingerling potatoes are starting to sprout, so I'm going to halve and roast them. I found a bag of chicken wings in the freezer, so I'm going to season and roast them, too, and bake a loaf of no-knead bread. I'll probably make a salad to go with it all.

Got lazy. Instead of a salad, I just cut up some veggies and served them with ranch dressing.

After roasting, I tossed the wings with a mixture of the last bit of two types of barbecue sauce, a bit of homemade Dijon mustard and some backyard honey to balance the flavor. Mmmmm.

Attachments

• 1481431431773.jpg
    1481431431773.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 112
...Dinner looks great, btw. You did the whole piling on thing.
Shredded pork and kraut over mashed? Close to Food of the Gods, bt. Thanks for the "looks great". Tasted good, too. Enough leftover meat and kraut to freeze for an easy dinner when we get back from OH after the holidays.

We attended the Beier Family Christmas today. It is always a couple of weeks early because people are coming from all over the place. Though, we were only about half because of other commitments and the unusual amount of snow we have had.

It was a traditional turkey dinner with potatoes, stuffing, gravy, my glazed carrots, curried cauliflower, brussel sprouts, raw veggies, and "martian food".

Martian food is a marshmallow/coconut/geletin salad that got it's nickname because it is made with lime Jell-O, giving it a soft green colour! It is a family tradition!

Thanks, GG
I make meatballs all the time. And we get gluten free pasta. My problem is getting the flavours and textures of the original dish. I am always experimenting. But this one is interesting using cornmeal. That is one thing I have never thought of for meatballs!

Also, the cream of celery soup does have some gluten in it. I have to watch my dairy so this is a challenge when making cream sauces. The coconut milk we use works sometimes and sometimes not so much.

I will take these ideas and continue to experiment! After all, that is what I love doing the most! :)

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't even look at the sauce recipe. I would use the one I posted earlier from Cooks Illustrated. I imagine you have already found a way to make a roux without wheat flour.

Thanks, GG

Also, the cream of celery soup does have some gluten in it. I have to watch my dairy so this is a challenge when making cream sauces. The coconut milk we use works sometimes and sometimes not so much.

I will take these ideas and continue to experiment! After all, that is what I love doing the most! :)

You could experiment with making a "cream" sauce like the technique used in this recipe. This particular sauce was really good, surprisingly not really spicy, and did make a "creamy" sauce.

Ribs

When i was at the market Friday, they had a sale on the extra meaty pork loin ribs, so I bought a rack. Kayelle cooked them up last night and they were Killer!

Back
Top Bottom