Saturday, 13-06-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickeeCoco

Senior Cook
A friend is back in town for a limited time after teaching in Korea for the past seven years and she's coming over today. The menu:

Rigatoni with heirloom tomatoes and spicy sausage
Bistecche alla Palermitana
(Rib-Eye steaks, Palermo-style)
Mustard green Salad
Garlic arugula with Pecorino cheese

Fresh fruit for dessert

And lots and lots of margaritas, with a splash of prosecco in there, 'cos why not? The simple sugar is made with orange blossom water for added charm. Again, why not?

Last edited:
My older daughter and her son are coming here for dinner. I'm making shish kebab on the grill (a favorite she can only get here); grilled tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and onion; pilaf and chocolate cake (Grandson's favorite) with ice cream.

Braised beef short ribs, mashed taters, green beans and carrots.

I took a package of brats and buns out of the freezer. I haven't really cooked for the past 10 days. We had to leave quite suddenly over a week ago when DH's mother was admitted for pneumonia. Sadly she was unable to fight the infection so we stayed for the funeral. Just got home so pretty much everything in the fridge is going in the trash today. Not sure what I'll serve with the brats but we'll make do with something.

Oh no, Jabbur. Condolences on the loss of your DH's mother.

I have no idea what we'll have. I'm making up some hummus and boiling some eggs.

BLTs on sourdough bread. Seems like everywhere I've looked lately, someone is posting or writing about the danged things. Trying to think of a side that goes with them, if I even make a side at all.

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, jabbur.

I'm going to make the Asian noodle salad with peanut butter dressing I intended to make a few days ago. It turned out I was out of peanut butter so I made curried chicken salad that night instead.

I took a package of brats and buns out of the freezer. I haven't really cooked for the past 10 days. We had to leave quite suddenly over a week ago when DH's mother was admitted for pneumonia. Sadly she was unable to fight the infection so we stayed for the funeral. Just got home so pretty much everything in the fridge is going in the trash today. Not sure what I'll serve with the brats but we'll make do with something.
So sorry for your loss, jabbur. Hugs.

I wasn't supposed to work today, but the Haskap berries couldn't be picked yesterday--it was raining. So I had to go to the farm (not our farm, the one around the corner--5 minutes away) and get Haskap berries, take them to the kitchen. Oops! Not enough, so I had to wait for the pickers to pick, went back to the kitchen this afternoon. I made a big garden greens salad with fresh strawberries and Haskap berries, feta cheese, and some smoked salmon. Dressed that with my favorite vinegar--dark chocolate balsamic and some lemon EVOO, S?&P to taste.

The company was featured on a local TV channel tonight--I was tickled pink to see that my Lamb Chop recipe was one of the recipe cards that was captured. It was sandwiched between recipe cards from two of the top Chefs in the area. Not too shabby for a rudimentary home cook.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Jabbur. I feel your sorrow. We just laid my mother to rest yesterday after a long illness. It's through family, friends and food that we find comfort and strength to move forward.

After a long, and exhausting week, we are home and starting to trying to regain some calm and routine to our lives again. Tonight we are having Piri Piri chicken and lime-coconut jasmine rice...

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Jabbur. I feel your sorrow. We just laid my mother to rest yesterday after a long illness. It's through family, friends and food that we find comfort and strength to move forward.

After a long, and exhausting week, we are home and starting to trying to regain some calm and routine to our lives again. Tonight we are having Piri Piri chicken and lime-coconut jasmine rice...
Roch--I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that you treasured the time spent with your mom during this long illness and that she undoubtedly was comforted to have you and your family there during this difficult time.

jabbur and Rock, so sorry to hear of your families' losses. I'll keep you and your families in my thoughts. Just keep remembering the happy times to get through the rough days ahead.

Rock I know what it is to lose your mom to illness. I lost my mom to cancer in 2003. DH's mom had dementia and was wheelchair bound unable to even feed herself anymore. The doctors think she aspirated something which set up the pneumonia. It was a peaceful passing and both her sons and her husband were with her. My sympathies to you Rock.

Back
Top Bottom