Saturday, 2--11-17, What's headed for your tummy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We were going to try geoduck, but unfortunately they didn't have any when we went this morning. So, we got a couple of golden crabs. Craig will be steaming them shortly.

I got a whole pork loin on sale today. I'll portion it for the freezer and keep out some pork chops for tonight. Not sure how I'll do them yet. Have to look in the fridge and see what else needs using up. We'll definitely have salad, though. The garden is going gangbusters.
0211171353a_HDR.jpg

I am doing quantity cooking today because DH has a lot of family in. His Dad's pace maker failed on Wednesday but two of FIL's daughters were present and immediately performed CPR on him. He got out of the hospital today with a new pace maker but family is worn out. I am making a lot of green chile enchiladas, mashed potatoes and 2 apple pies. I hope to keep back some of the enchiladas for dinner tonight.

Beth, sending best wishes to your FIL and family. :wub: Wow, nice looking garden for this time of year in your area, GG. Everyone's dinners sound good.

I've been in cleaning mode today. Taking a break now and then and don't want to mess around in the kitchen too much, since it's all cleaned up and pretty much closed. :) Using up fridge stuff and a few pantry things, I cobbled together a beans and rice dish, using a can of rinsed black beans, cooked rice, chopped red bell, onion, jalapeno, and a little chicken broth to loosen it up some. After a taste test I'll see if it needs a little Arizona Dreaming, or maybe a little cayenne, or both. A hunk of corn bread from the freezer is thawing for a side.

Found a big head of broccoli that was hiding from me in the crisper, so I'll roast that up and have it along with the leftover Thai curry chicken. Then anything leftover from that will be repurposed into soup in the near future.

Last edited:
Wow, nice looking garden for this time of year in your area, GG.

It's actually pretty typical. My corner of Virginia is warmer than the rest of the state because we're almost surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay. Cool-weather veggies grow all winter. DH did cover them with a tarp when we had snow and freezing temperatures for several days.

I got a whole pork loin on sale today. I'll portion it for the freezer and keep out some pork chops for tonight. Not sure how I'll do them yet. Have to look in the fridge and see what else needs using up. We'll definitely have salad, though. The garden is going gangbusters.
I have a bag of five apples from the bargain produce shelf I bought at Kroger a couple weeks ago. So I decided on this classic combo :mrgreen:
https://youtu.be/8wgDdgXjjN0

I got a new toy today

002.jpg

003.jpg

I have some mesquite wood chips that are going in and I'll grill up some
Teriyaki b/s Chicken Thighs that have been marinading in Yoshida's sauce with a bunch of chopped Green Onions all day.
OH MY GAWD!
The smell is driving the neighbors wild, I'm sure!
I'll serve it all up (a little later) with some freshly steamed White Rice, Aloha Shoyu, Furikake and my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (and maybe a beer or three ;))

Made a shrimp dish in a white wine and butter sauce with roasted red peppers, shallots & garlic over linguine.

I got a new toy today

View attachment 26162

View attachment 26163

I have some mesquite wood chips that are going in and I'll grill up some
Teriyaki b/s Chicken Thighs that have been marinading in Yoshida's sauce with a bunch of chopped Green Onions all day.
OH MY GAWD!
The smell is driving the neighbors wild, I'm sure!
I'll serve it all up (a little later) with some freshly steamed White Rice, Aloha Shoyu, Furikake and my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (and maybe a beer or three ;))

I have that little smoker box Kgirl!! It's a great design and I love it too!!:yum:

Sending good thoughts to you re: you FIL, beth.

GG, nice garden. I'd consider your little corner of the world for a retirement location, but I've spent a few weeks during humid weather in the Tidewater region. That, and it's far from the kids...

It was a Penzeys's kind of meal tonight. I couldn't decide on which seasonings I wanted to use, so I put three different ones to use. The filets of hake were generously basted with OO, fresh lemon juice, and Parisian Blend, then baked. Fresh green beans were drizzled with a bit of EVOO and a lot of shakes from the Brady Street Cheese Sprinkles jar, and the fresh broccoli/carrot/cauliflower batch got a bit of Greek Seasoning. That one is a mix of half Penzey-half Spice House. Penzey has too much salt in it (listed first), but the Spice House blend includes mint. If I mix them together, it tastes just right.

I made a bowl of fruit salad (green and red grapes, blueberries, Halos and a navel orange, Gala apple, plus part of a banana when we're ready to have some), but we're still waiting for the supper to settle.

Attachments

• 2017-02-11 21.20.50.jpg
    2017-02-11 21.20.50.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
I picked up a large, delicious, margherita pizza, and a small plain pizza, and a fresh calamari salad.

I got 1 slice of the margherita. :glare:

The calamari salad was great. The squid was super tender, and it was over a bed of skinned and seeded cukes, thinly sliced red onion, shaved celery, and pitted green olives in a light lemon dressing.

Atta boy! Just made it myself the other night. I used chantrelles along with the white mushrooms...
I used two good sized thinly sliced shallots, a couple of sliced green onions, half and half, and omitted the garlic. Wife said it would stand up to any restaurant in town (and we live in a restaurant town).

GG, nice garden. I'd consider your little corner of the world for a retirement location, but I've spent a few weeks during humid weather in the Tidewater region. That, and it's far from the kids...

Thank you. Yeah, the humidity is a killer, but that's why we have air conditioning! [emoji38] And very little snow or ice to deal with. There are always tradeoffs [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom