Saturday, 2-18-17, what's headed for your belly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We got our geoduck! We'll have 2 preps, sashimi and fried belly slices with panko. We still have stone crabs left from 2 nights ago so we'll have the rest of those and something else TBD.

Spaghetti and meat sauce here.

And I, too, am impressed by your tackling of your geoduck, med. As well as a bit, um, disturbed.

I've heard it's pretty tasty if you can prepare it though.

Last edited:
We got our geoduck! We'll have 2 preps, sashimi and fried belly slices with panko. We still have stone crabs left from 2 nights ago so we'll have the rest of those and something else TBD.

Oh man, I love geoduck. Is this a good season for them, med?
I've only seen them frozen in our Korean market for most of the year, but I know they advertise when they get them in fresh.

Well, it was alive and still moving, so I'm guessing they are in season. OMG, it was so good! I photo documented so pics to follow. We'll definitely have this again. Probably get 2 next time because we both wanted more, but it will be a treat because they are $33 a pound and we got 1 just under a pound.

Last edited:
This is how we cleaned and cooked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNR-nAlWaw

37240-albums1071-picture6871.jpg

37240-albums1071-picture6872.jpg

Sashimi prep with salt, lime juice, olive oil drizzle and chives.

37240-albums1071-picture6873.jpg

Fried clam belly with pankos, and wasabi mustard mayo.

37240-albums1071-picture6874.jpg

The sashimi was just as tender as could be, light clam/briny taste. It started curling at the edges just like the video as I sliced it. The fried clam belly was like fried butter, just melted in your mouth. Light wasabi mayo was just perfect with it.

I gotta hand it to you Med. I know I'll never be preparing a geoduck.

Yup, I agree 100 % - although Kayelle, we have to say... "Never say never!" :LOL: :LOL: I think you two guys must have hidden gills on your back..:ROFLMAO:

My son, etal, came out for late lunch. Ran out and grabbed some salmon to make the Salmon Cakes from Cook's Illustrated.

I make tis all the time - but have to admit first time I read the recipe I felt bewildered. I always assumed you made Salmon Cakes from left over salmon... you didn't buy it just to make te cakes!

I now buy fresh salmon just to make these cakes - they are so good!

Here is the site for them...

Easy Salmon Cakes

I know I could do it Med, and I'd sure love to have the experience of eating it. I bet it was wonderful!

It was a pleasure to grill tonight and be outside after the epic storm of yesterday.

Not to brag, but I love the way I do thighs and and grill basket of marinated veggies.
Good and simple eats.

It was a pleasure to grill tonight and be outside after the epic storm of yesterday.

Not to brag, but I love the way I do thighs and and grill basket of marinated veggies.
Good and simple eats.
Killer! I love veggies done in the grill basket. Kayelle grills so often that I had to order replacement heat shields for the BBQ because they burned out!:)
Also, I had to get a new tank because the old one expired. They are only good for 12 years.
P.S. I always have a full spare tank.

I made Sloppy Janes (nee Joes) and fresh cut fries. Food is so sexist, so I've been calling them Sloppy Janes the last few years. I am not a real fan of them, but my wife grew up on them, loves 'em.

Absolutely awesome Deluxe Noodle Bowls for supper here in the nasty, cold, wet, grey, ugly SouthWest with Flash Flood warnings and possible snow in affect...

noodle bowl.jpg

Saimin Noodles, diced Char Siu aka Chinese BBQ Pork, sliced Kamaboko aka steamed Fish Cake, Baby Bok Choy, under it all and not visible are Pork & Veggie Dumplings (Won Ton), all in a nice and hot Dashi Broth along with two dipping sauces for the dumplings... Aloha Shoyu with Wasabi and Japanese Chili Oil and Crunchy Garlic, OMG! You gotta try this! YUM! Not too spicy, just a nice hum and a crunch...perfect with the nice soft dumplings :slurp: :stuart:

I was kitchen busy today, making a pot of spaghetti sauce for tomorrow's dinner and the freezer, chicken soup for Monday's dinner (and maybe the freezer), plus did a load of laundry. Decided the mushrooms that looked like they had only one day to live could be used for an omelette.

We had ham steak from the freezer, mushroom and Fontina omelette, and Grands biscuits (since the half-loaf of bread in the box had turned into a science experiment).

Attachments

• 2017-02-18 21.02.12.jpg
    2017-02-18 21.02.12.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 136
I made fried chicken with rice and gravy, along with sautéed veggies. No marinating. I mixed onion powder, garlic powder paprika, thyme, sage and S&P with flour, dredged the thighs and fried them in about an inch of peanut oil. I used the seasoned flour to make the gravy. Really good :yum:
0218171942a_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom