"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #31
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I made one of hubby's favorite dishes, a baked orange chicken recipe I found over a year ago that (of course) I modified. For sides I made mashed potatoes (from scratch, natch), steamed broccoli and okra tossed with fresh sweet corn.

cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That sounds yummy!...
It was!!!

Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Got a great deal on tuna steaks at the market this week, so we had tuna steak au poivre with a soy/lime/ginger dipping sauce, sauteed onions and mushrooms, tossed salad, and "funeral" cake for dessert.

The dessert is kind of a joke because it's a cake recipe from a friend who always takes it to funerals, wakes, etc. She always has the ingredients in her pantry.

It's a box yellow cake made in a 9- x 13-inch pan. While still warm, it gets poked and a whole can of coconut milk poured over to soak in. When the cake is cold, it's iced with a mixture of a container of whipped topping mixed with a can of premade cream cheese icing, then the whole thing is mounded with shredded coconut. Chill overnight. Whoa!!!!! This is a wonderful cake.
The "funeral" cake sounds delicious! I just happen to have a can of coconut milk that I was wondering what to do with. Now all I have to get is the rest of the stuff! I'm going shopping either tomorrow or Monday, so I will do just that!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #33
Was tinkering around in the kitchen again. Ended up making what can only be deemed an Italian-inspired concoction of cacciatore meets lasagne, without the pasta. Was quick, easy and quite tasty!

Also ended up making chocolate cornstarch pudding, substituting the sugar for stevia - Jury is still out on stevia's effectiveness in cooking, more to do with how the sweetness is carried, but I think this is due to the fact I'm using products well beyond their best before date ~_~.
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #34
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
There was chicken pot pie waiting for me when I got home! YUM!
I just have to know...was it actually a pot pie, or the PA dutch pot pie which is similar to chicken and dumplings. I just ask because my grandma and then my mom made the best PA dutch potpie you have ever tasted!
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #35
Master Chef
Site Moderator
The way I make it is a meat/veg/gravy or sauce filling in pie crust (usually top and bottom). Sometimes I'll just top it with crescent roll dough.

Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote