Saturday 5/21 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
left over chicken fried in oven. cooked carrots and brussel sprouts. at least that is the plan. still have peanut butter choco chip bars for dessert. made french toast for breakfast using my homemade white bread. wonderful!

Saturday night is our night to eat out. We're going out for thin-crust brick oven pizza. I'll have margarita (I'm a pizza purist). DH will have something complicated, I'm sure.

I have had such a lousy day (the transmission on my van is dead--DH is not here--I'm stuck on the farm w/out wheels and have a dog I've been having to take to the vet more times this week than I care to count...). I just hope we are over the worst and she doesn't need to go to emergency--I can't get her there...I love living in the country, but there are days...so I think I'm having ICE CREAM.

I already had my ice cream... around 3:00. Weird how one seemingly small thing can throw your whole weekend off.
So I just got back from the town store with a thick porterhouse that doesn't look *too* bad and a portobello cap. That is dinner.

Meatloaf and scalloped corn casserole. It's almost too warm to use the oven, but I need to use the ground chuck while it's still fresh.

Weird how one seemingly small thing can throw your whole weekend off.
Oh--the transmission going is not a small thing--it is a major repair. DH can do it, but he's BUSY until after June 1, so being without a means of transportation during the week, well. Ice cream helped, but I'm still looking forward to him getting his butt back here tomorrow. And, I spent a fair amount of time on the Internet looking for a used car to have as a backup...

. Oh--the transmission going is not a small thing--it is a major repair. DH can do it, but he's BUSY until after June 1, so being without a means of transportation during the week, well. Ice cream helped, but I'm still looking forward to him getting his butt back here tomorrow. And, I spent a fair amount of time on the Internet looking for a used car to have as a backup...

lol, I was talking about ME :ROFLMAO:
That's why I mentioned me needing a little ice cream, too.

I have dry rubbed a beef roast to go on the Weber and I think maybe I will do some more potatoes on the grill (like last nights) and we still have lots of the broccoli cauliflower salad left. DH plans on making a rhubarb crisp for dessert.

Chicken Mozzarella Sandwich with fresh basil, sun dried tomato pesto, tomatoes on a Neo-Tuscan Boule. and Musgo Potato Salad.
I could not get a picture of it. The three I took were worse then any of the ones I rushed to post in the past.

Last edited:
mmmm, chicken ans mozz. I like that combo. I'm using some mozzarella tonight on my porto cap.

mmmm, chicken ans mozz. I like that combo. I'm using some mozzarella tonight on my porto cap.

It was good. Tasted like something you would get at a Bistro. BUT the whole time I was eating it I kept thinking that this would be better with some nice garlic infused Roast Beef. I will have to try that.:chef:

real bone-in pork chops w pan gravy(free range piggies) mashed yukons, fresh sauted spinach from the farm, fresh red lettuce with simple vinaigrette. puts an old line cook in heaven! :)

Big fan of tacos, too. You know that.

I'm on a bit of a learning curve with my new Smokey Joe. I tried to skimp on charcoal, wanting one side indirect anyway, and wasn't exactly ready to put the steak on, so had things dampered down... so lets just say I'm grilling my steak and portobello low and slow. I'm trying to fire off the charcoal that went out and figure out when to get the loaded garlic bread going and watching Cat People on TCM and... I'm grillin'. Ya just gotta go with it sometimes.
So I open another beer or two before dinner's ready... the world was supposed to end today anyway, lol.

SmoKey Joe's rock. My wife found one among some trash curbside on our street last year, practically new. I've used it a few times and thinking about converting it into a smoker using a tamale pot for the smoker body. It's a fairly popular conversion among Smokey Joe enthusiasts.
There's even talk about Weber re-introducing their tiny little smoker based on the Smokey Joe. They stopped selling them back in 1983. Cute little thing.... I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I was inspired to make Filipino Chicken Abobo for the first time, and it sure won't be the last. I served the chicken thighs and fantastic broth over Lo Mein noodles instead of the rice that was recommended.

img_1003016_0_5e74252327771baabf4cdf2f18d7cfd9.jpg

Penne with sauteed garlic, spinach, mushrooms, lemon juice, etc. tossed with soft goat cheese. Topped with Parmigiano Reggiano.

SmoKey Joe's rock. My wife found one among some trash curbside on our street last year, practically new. I've used it a few times and thinking about converting it into a smoker using a tamale pot for the smoker body. It's a fairly popular conversion among Smokey Joe enthusiasts.
There's even talk about Weber re-introducing their tiny little smoker based on the Smokey Joe. They stopped selling them back in 1983. Cute little thing.... I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I searched all over for the tamale pot to make one of those SJ smokers last fall. There wasn't a tamale pot to be had in these parts, so I went to order one on Target online and they said they discontinued them. I didn't have the SJ at the time either, but now that I do I can take some measurements in case I run into one of those pots.

We ate at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville last night. Had a delicious Cesar pizza. Garlic and pesto sauce with feta cheese baked on the crust topped with a Cesar salad Unusual but very tasty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom