"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Ohio born-and-bread (um, Daddy was a bread delivery driver ), so I've never gotten into eating well-cooked beans, tomatoes, et al. Seem like toddler food to me. Sorry. However, I DO cook the daylights out of collard greens when we have them. Still nothing mushy about them though.

Well, the steak I had set aside for stroganoff had died, so what to do with a pound of cleaned and sliced mushrooms? I dragged out my emergency jar of Alfredo sauce, sauteed the mushroom, and we had fettuccine alfredo, along with a salad. Fresh mixed fruit for dessert.

Was it Bob Evans? We've eaten at that one several times and it never disappointed. But if you're Catholic? The church in town will disappoint. We have never felt so unwelcome as the time we stopped there for Mass. Christians, bah.
We stayed at the Comfort Inn, and it has a Denny's attached, so we ate there. A nice fresh club sandwich and fries hit the spot

Old 08-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Went out for a walk and stopped in to the local Legion. There was a band out on the patio and we ran into a bunch of people we hadn't seen in a while. One beer led to another so we scrapped dinner plans. Ended up going across the street to a Chinese buffet. It wasn't very good. Everything was too salty and deep fried...I paid for it when it woke me up around 2 a.m. this morning. I'll need a nap today

Old 08-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Re cooking vegetables to death, you guys should look for the book "The Good Old Days - They Were Terrible!" It's a funny, yet frightening, look at how unhealthful food was in the late 19th century.

"Chapter 7, Food and Drink Summary and Analysis

The average citizen of the late 19th century was forced to subsist on a monotonous, simple diet that was oftentimes far from healthful.

There was no meat-packing industry. Meat arrived "on the hoof," that is, live, on rail. Many cows were dying of starvation or sick well before the slaughterhouse. Meat was often decayed, or left to hang outdoors, which meant very quick deterioration. One might think many citizens would turn to vegetables given this kind of meat, but in fact vegetables were widely blamed for a cholera epidemic in 1832, and people were still distrustful of fruit and vegetables."

Since effective antibiotics were not generally available to the public until the 1950s, and most people had no health insurance, it's no wonder fear of vegetables persisted well into the 20th. They cooked them that much to avoid getting sick.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, that book is about much more than just food. It's very interesting.