Saturday, April 14th!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Was wondering if anyone survived Friday the 13th! Sure hope so...

I managed to and so this is what I finally did with those humongous mussels.

Curried Mussels in Coconut Milk with Sweet Potatoes served on rice (sorry forgot the pic with rice).

Everything came together perfectly - rice finished as the mussels opened - couldn't have asked for more.
and that's shaved radish with cilantro sprinkled on top

Attachments

• DSCN5898.jpg
    DSCN5898.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 135
That's one really beautiful plate Dragon! What does that amount of mussels weigh?

We're having Italian sausage Bolillo rolls with / grilled green&red bell pepper/onion/melted Motz cheese with a little sauce.
Salads on the side.

The mussels weighed in at just a tad over 1 pound. What is actually on the plate is about maybe 90% of that. But not to worry 'the ol' gut guzzler' here managed to eat the rest of them with some more rice. I was stuffed and won't be hungry for a while! (no salad, no dessert)

I've often seen recipes for grilled/skewered mussels only the sizes were just not right. Now that I have found these (and I hope it wasn't just a fluke per the size) grilling sounds like a definite possibility! Groan... I'm drooling just thinking about them.

do you and DH like curry? I'll post the recipe if you'd like.

Congrats Dragn, that's a gorgeous lookin' dish!

We are going to have grilled Steak Frites with a side salad.

It FINALLY stopped blowing like a Banshee here and it's warmed up to a lovely 70⁰F... DH and I have been out back in our bathing suits, catching some rays. Funny, when we lived in Hawaii, if it got below 70⁰F, everyone was freezing to death, bundled up like Nanook of the North. :blink:

We never had the stuffed pork chops the other night so that was to night's dinner.

Thick cut loin pork chops stuffed with a spinach and feta stuffing and a side of salad.

The mussels weighed in at just a tad over 1 pound. What is actually on the plate is about maybe 90% of that. But not to worry 'the ol' gut guzzler' here managed to eat the rest of them with some more rice. I was stuffed and won't be hungry for a while! (no salad, no dessert)

I've often seen recipes for grilled/skewered mussels only the sizes were just not right. Now that I have found these (and I hope it wasn't just a fluke per the size) grilling sounds like a definite possibility! Groan... I'm drooling just thinking about them.

Thanks Dragon, that gives me an eyeball guess on a portion for a plate.
Actually, we don't like Indian curry, but we do enjoy Asian.
I'm sure others would enjoy your recipe so yes, please post it and thanks.

OK Kay, will post soon... for whomever wishes - but also have an awesome spicy sort of asian recipe. Interested? Never mind, I'll post a couple of them for whomever wants. ;)

give me some time, a few issues going on right now... :rolleyes:

Was wondering if anyone survived Friday the 13th! Sure hope so...

I managed to and so this is what I finally did with those humongous mussels.

Curried Mussels in Coconut Milk with Sweet Potatoes served on rice (sorry forgot the pic with rice).

Everything came together perfectly - rice finished as the mussels opened - couldn't have asked for more.
and that's shaved radish with cilantro sprinkled on top

Wow, very nice. Well done.

Yes, recipe, please!

I've found mussels aren't like clams when it comes to tenderness and size. Big clams like Quahogs are tough , so they must be treated differently than smal clams like Littlenecks.
But big mussels are just as tender and tasty and little ones, so don't worry about the size. They're much more forgiving than most other shellfish when it comes to cooking.

Last edited:
THANKS bucky! I was a bit disappointed the last couple of times I made Vongole - the clams were tough! Couldn't figure out why but now maybe it WAS the size.

I'll make sure to go smaller next time.

I came upon the same $9.99 a pound scallop deal as Andy got earlier this week. The fishmonger said that scallops are supposed to be plentiful this year, an overabundance...and that it should translate into even lower prices. I hope so! I much prefer the flavor of scallops to the "deal" of $3.99 a pound lobster.

I fancied up my "Brussels sprouts with bacon, mushrooms, and scallops" dish because of those beauties. I sauteed the mushroom slices in butter/olive oil, simmered them with a bit of dry Sherry, and added a splash of half-and-half. Sauteed shredded sprouts in the bacon fat from the pieces I had cooked, then topped the cooked Brussels spouts with the bacon rather than mixing it in. Crowned the veggies with as nicely seared of scallops as I could make them. We each had one leftover Sister Schubert's rolls that were in the freezer since Easter. Not impressed with Sis's baking...

Attachments

• 20180414_220727.jpg
    20180414_220727.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Oven roasted turkey breast, real mashed potatoes (asked Mom if she wanted baked or mashed--she wanted mashed--Dad thought it would be easier to use instant--not), peas, and Parmesan herb Parker House rolls, real gravy. Tomorrow will be open-faced hot turkey sandwiches.

Lovely plate Dragon.

We had chiii, Craig made his, I made mine, though he was very nice and cut up my veges for me.

First IP meal... Boneless pork ribs.. Served with roasted B Sprouts and baked beans..

Loving my new IP..

Ross

Attachments

• IP Pork Ribs.jpg
    IP Pork Ribs.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 80
those scallops look amaaazing!

I can never decide which are my favourites -

Scallops Mussels Shrimps

I think I'd have to say that which ever one I'm eating is my very very all time favourite!

Back
Top Bottom