Saturday, December 20th.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawgluver is correct. However, neither the steamers or Uni are local. The steamers are Ipswich clams from the northern Atlantic seaboard and the Uni is probably from the Pacific Northwest.

Now this surprised me. I would have thought they were local to Florida.

Now this surprised me. I would have thought they were local to Florida.

We do have sea urchins. However, the ones we bought are not the ones that are most prevalent in S Florida waters. I've never seen or heard anybody talking about pulling an urchin out of the water down here and eating it, although I have read/heard tales of people doing so further south in the Caribbean. Probably has to do with warm water versus cold, just like clams, oysters, mussels are better in cold waters than in warm. Or maybe you don't eat the ones that are most prevalent here. Don't really know as this is only our second try of uni and both sets were purchased.

We do have sea urchins. However, the ones we bought are not the ones that are most prevalent in S Florida waters. I've never seen or heard anybody talking about pulling an urchin out of the water down here and eating it, although I have read/heard tales of people doing so further south in the Caribbean. Probably has to do with warm water versus cold, just like clams, oysters, mussels are better in cold waters than in warm. Or maybe you don't eat the ones that are most prevalent here. Don't really know as this is only our second try of uni and both sets were purchased.

I have a real hatred those Caribbean sea urchins. The very first time I ever snorkeled, I waded into the water in Jamaica and stepped directly on top of one. :furious::censored: What did a California girl know about those :devilish:'s ????

I have a real hatred those Caribbean sea urchins. The very first time I ever snorkeled, I waded into the water in Jamaica and stepped directly on top of one. :furious::censored: What did a California girl know about those :devilish:'s ????

We've seen them anywhere we've snorkeled, which has mostly been the Caribbean, Hawaii, and the Florida Keys. Nasty spikes, would hate to step on one! And a nasty infection.

We've seen them anywhere we've snorkeled, which has mostly been the Caribbean, Hawaii, and the Florida Keys. Nasty spikes, would hate to step on one! And a nasty infection.

Yep I've seen them everywhere too Dawg. One place I've never snorkeled is right here in California.. I'm here to tell you that stepping on one is a nightmare. My foot came out of the water looking like it had been attacked by a porcupine and hurt like my foot was on fire.

Yep I've seen them everywhere too Dawg. One place I've never snorkeled is right here in California.. I'm here to tell you that stepping on one is a nightmare. My foot came out of the water looking like it had been attacked by a porcupine and hurt like my foot was on fire.

Wow. I can't imagine.

We wear semi-hard soled booties with our fins. My painful ocean experiences have been with stinging hydroids and jellyfish. And a one time brush with fire coral.

Back
Top Bottom