Saturday, December 20th.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cleaning out the refrigerator today!

Beef chunks in tomato sauce and cabbage, carrots and onions steamed in ham broth.

We're having our annual Holiday Banquet with the wine club. It's a catered seven course meal, with a different wine pairing for each course. I know the entrée is prime rib, and the soup course is cream of mushroom. That's all I know at this point.

Yesterday we picked up a 10# bag of steamers and I steamed about half. Tonight We are frying the other half which I just got done shucking. Karen made the roasted garlic tartar sauce we both love. We also got some more Uni.

I have a tomato sauce simmering on the stove to top off some Italian sausage ravioli for our dinner tonight.

Yesterday we picked up a 10# bag of steamers and I steamed about half. Tonight We are frying the other half which I just got done shucking. Karen made the roasted garlic tartar sauce we both love. We also got some more Uni.

Steamers? Uni?

Help a Brit please! :)

OK, steamers are clams, and Craig has the luxury of living in Florida, and is also a diver and spearfisher. And I think uni is sea urchin.

Last edited:
A friend, her sons, and I had Knaeckerbrot with sunflower butter, krumkake, and peppernuts, so I don't think I need to eat anything else!

I had to google Knaeckerbrot. Sounds like a fine dinner.

We're going for sushi at our little local wine bar. Once a month a woman comes in and makes the best sushi I've ever had.

We ate up all our leftovers since we're leaving for OH tomorrow. I think we did good. Like the airline ad says "you're free to leave". :LOL:

Attachments

• 2014-12-20 21.33.27.jpg
    2014-12-20 21.33.27.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 171
Pizza Pie, w/ sausage , mushroom, onion.

img_1403215_0_87f98234c01b555e4f024477a7aa677a.jpg

img_1403215_1_8517d3bbe7b6428356162edfc92a4be9.jpg

SousChef came home with two beautiful artichokes from a roadside stand, so we'll be having them with our Cha Shu pork tenderloin with fried rice.

i have been beaten about the head on shoulders for my spelling of Cha Shu. On the packet,it is spelled Char Siu. When you are translating from a Chinese ideogram all bets are off!
Kayelle added some of those dried wild mushrooms to the rice which made it even better.

I had to google Knaeckerbrot. Sounds like a fine dinner.

We're going for sushi at our little local wine bar. Once a month a woman comes in and makes the best sushi I've ever had.
This is the recipe that I had the boys recreate using baker's percentages:

Sesamknäcke - Recept - Mitt Kök

I had them cut them in 4" x 3 " rectangles. If I hadn't sent all the ones left home with the boys, I could snap a picture. Since they'd been to IKEA's food section the night before, I thought it would be fun to make these (rather than have them buy WASA).

Last edited:
We had a breakfast dinner of corned beef hash, scrambled cheesy eggs, toast with honey butter and we wiped out the better part of a cantaloup and a bunch of black grapes.

Tomorrow I may fire up the grill, but we'll see. Tomorrow's breakfast will be the rest of the cantaloup and grapes, more toast with honey butter and some bacon, then we'll have to go shopping again.

Nothing. With this crazy problem I am having with eating, I am afraid to eat anything at all. Although I do have some cans of Campbell Soup in the cabinet. Maybe I could get some of that down without it stopping up my pipes. :angel:

Steamers? Uni?

Help a Brit please! :)

Dawgluver is correct. However, neither the steamers or Uni are local. The steamers are Ipswich clams from the northern Atlantic seaboard and the Uni is probably from the Pacific Northwest.

Dawgluver is correct. However, neither the steamers or Uni are local. The steamers are Ipswich clams from the northern Atlantic seaboard and the Uni is probably from the Pacific Northwest.

The Ipswich clams are from a town on the North Shore called Ipswich in Massachusetts. There is a protected bed there and you have to have a special license to dig for the clams. They are the sweetest and purist clams around. The area is so well protected that no swimming or any other activity is allowed. As a result the clams multiply in a prolific manner.

:LOL: There isn't a single clam there. They are all married with very large families. :angel:

The Ipswich clams are from a town on the North Shore called Ipswich in Massachusetts. There is a protected bed there and you have to have a special license to dig for the clams. They are the sweetest and purist clams around. The area is so well protected that no swimming or any other activity is allowed. As a result the clams multiply in a prolific manner.

:LOL: There isn't a single clam there. They are all married with very large families. :angel:

That is one name for the same species. They are also known as soft-shell clams. They are also found in the UK. Although there may be a specific fishery in Ipswich, it is certainly a very small portion of there range. During the larval stage of their life, they are subject to currents and tidal flow, so unless Ipswich can some how control nature, you would not know where your locales total population originated.;)

Soft-shell clam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom