Saturday dinner - 19 January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
It's a long weekend here (no work on Monday for the lady of the house)...so I've got some cooking to attend to.

Dinner tonight:

Butternut squash soup with crab fritter and sage cream (I'll post the recipe as soon as I finish creating it)

Chicken marsala with risotto timbale and julienned green beans

Chocolate cake with roasted blood orange slices

Pinot Noir with dinner......Maker's before dinner

What are you having?

PIE! Although I can't take credit for making them as they came from an organic shop. The boy and wonderful neighbors are having Steak & Kidney and I'm having Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese. Served with roasted mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.

I'm making aguynamedrobert's chocolate brownies for dessert! YUM!

Oh and a lovely bottle of Rioja I've been saving!

Last edited:
Well, before I had got past checking out the fridge etc to see what I fancied, my girlfriend phoned, so anticipating a bit of a chat (which I was right about), I just grabbed the cold beef chipolatas from last night's dinner, and the tub of feta with semi-dried tomatoes and a fork. A bit of a tasting plate became my dinner, all washed down with a bottle of cider.

It's a long weekend here (no work on Monday for the lady of the house)...so I've got some cooking to attend to.
Dinner tonight:Butternut squash soup with crab fritter and sage cream (I'll post the recipe as soon as I finish creating it)Chicken marsala with risotto timbale and julienned green beans.Chocolate cake with roasted blood orange slices.What are you having?
I see it's the second night in a row that I don't have to cook, I'm going to VB's house:LOL:
...............but just in case I'm not invited, I'll be at M&S here in Philly PA.
That is if I have any money left after shopping like a drunken fool:huh:

Chocolate cake with roasted blood orange slices

You're posting this too right? I just found 5lbs of blood oranges for $3 so I want this recipe!

Tonight we have an extra teen over and I don't know their picky level so I'm going simple. Roast chicken, root veggies and potatoes tossed with some EVOO, balsamic vinegar and s&p, either green beans or broccoli, caesar salad and a loaf of french bread. Hmmm...I'd best think about getting that bread started soon shouldn't I?

If I see that recipe from you soon Vera we'll have that cake for dessert. If I don't see it, I may have to improvise one and see how close I get. LOL.

You're posting this too right? I just found 5lbs of blood oranges for $3 so I want this recipe!

Tonight we have an extra teen over and I don't know their picky level so I'm going simple. Roast chicken, root veggies and potatoes tossed with some EVOO, balsamic vinegar and s&p, either green beans or broccoli, caesar salad and a loaf of french bread. Hmmm...I'd best think about getting that bread started soon shouldn't I?

If I see that recipe from you soon Vera we'll have that cake for dessert. If I don't see it, I may have to improvise one and see how close I get. LOL.

The cake is a double chocolate cake recipe I jacked from Epicurious.com. As for the blood oranges....

segment three oranges and gently lay on a parchment sheet on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar and roast till the sugar caremelizes. You could also use a blow torch as you'd do a creme brulee, which is what I'll do. Slice the cake, dollop some whipped cream off center, and place the roasted orange segments into the cream.

Going out for dinner tonight at a local Inn. I'll have the pan seared sea scallops with maple cream drizzle, and DH will have is favorite braised short ribs and mashed potatoes.

George T. Stagg bourbon.......
Fried Fish....Catfish and bream.
Trimmings...
Later....A banana (wal)nut bread that has me salivating. Sha Zams!!!!

I just made hummus, which we ate as a snack on hot naan.

I am making shrimp fettacine alfredo for dinner. I went to Sams Club this a.m. and they had the biggest shrimp I've ever seen (bigger than your fist) on sale. They are from Bangladesh, they look like shrimp on steriods. I got one pound of shrimp (onloy 6 large prawns). I made chocolate brownies last night, so brownies for dessert too.

Uncle Bob's fried catfish sounds wonderful. Curious about the "trimmings" - mac & cheese? kale? coleslaw?

pintos with a ham bone (nice and meaty too!!!)
coleslaw
collard greens
homemade mac & cheese
cornbread

And that's what's for dinner! Good ol' Southern food!!!

Pizza for us tonight, home-made. That double chocolate cake with roasted blood oranges sounds awesome. Chocolate goes well with orange.

It's 5:00pm and I still
haven't go any ideas for supper.... prbly left over ribs and potatoes

Back
Top Bottom