"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

CG, you need to admire the beauty of my duct-taped and shimmed freezer drawer. And what a pain in the butt it will be to replace the door or the whole fridge.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you ever post a photo? I'm sure you did a bang-up job on trying to make it functional. I suggest next time your DH takes something out of commission, you do likewise to him. I don't mean take HIM out of commission. After all, he is worth the price of his paycheck.

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You must be popular! The divorced guy who cooks!

Most of my neighbors don't cook either.
When I was married, my wife was an amazing baker, who could also cook (two different skills). I was the main "cook" in the house. We made really good food at home.

We would go out one night a week for "date night." We were very picky about where we went -- no Applebee's. Going out was about trying something new, or just going to a favorite place where we could be waited on, and eat great food -- then get up from the table and walk away from the dirty dishes.

To me, eating out is either something I do when I'm on the road and can't cook, or it is something I do to truly enjoy a dining experience, and like I said, not have to clean anything after dinner.

Well, I do sometimes get a craving for a Whataburger.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #14
Head Chef

We had the Smother bacon Asiago wine chicken. Since my Asiago was matured I just tested a little , separate from the main dish , just in case it would go horrible wrong and it did. It tasted digestive fluid, old wine and smelled of used socks.

So I used another Italian cheese and it turned out lovely and we both enjoyed it.

My husband said to me, I think you done this before and I went hrm, I think so too. So after going to the attic to get my old note book ( hid it there because my daughter, as baby, loved it a little too much) and I found the recipe is the same as Viv's mozzarella Chicken, however with mozzarella and not Asiago. So this recipe is staying, we will have it again.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:11 AM   #15
Executive Chef

We also had the smothered bacon chicken with asiago cream sauce. While I wouldn't describe it quite the way CP did, it did have a very strong winey/acidic taste. If I make it again, I'll cut down on the wine a bit (I used a Pinot Gris) and add more cream and/or cheese, probably both. BTW, I used an Italian DOP Asiago labeled as Fresh. We had roasted brussels on the side with a mushroom, bacon, cream, and sherry sauce. Hmm, sherry might be a good sub for the wine in the chicken dish...

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:13 AM   #16
Head Chef

medtran49: I used gato negro white wine ( I could afford that and it works for cooking) but my cheese was way too mature for cooking, it was more chatting and nibbling cheese, which I did later.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Cdog - I agree. I travel most weeks and eat out constantly. My wife eats out when I am going, as she cooks very little. So when I am home we like to eat, especially on the weekends for the experience. Sometimes that is at home, sometimes out. when you go out to eat every night, as some of my friends do, it is a chore, takes the fun out of it. With all that said, I did a Rib eye on my new grill, which we split, and Kroger had lobster on sale, so that was it with a Caprese salad.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #18
Head Chef

Plans to eat at one of the many food stands at our towns "Good Old Days" celebration were thwarted by rain, so it was hot dogs at home..

No rain today so down to the celebration we go.. Will try something different @ a food booth...

Tags
dinner