Saturday Dinner - 4/8/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I made chicken-less creamy garlic chicken according to the recipe AndyM posted a few days ago. I used shrimp instead, and served it over fresh angel hair pasta.

Mrs. T thought I made this before, and I think I did something similar, but without the spinach. Good stuff, nevertheless.

I have a beer butt chicken in the oven, seasoned with Noh Hawaiian seasoning salt (garlic/vinegar/chili pepper) good stuff by the way.

Sides are baked spuds and spinach salad.

I found some recently frozen meatballs while rummaging through the freezer this morning so I had two of those, a salad, and a mango.

I had a couple different pasta leftovers in the fridge, so we each took one. I also made fresh salads and toasted homemade bread topped with Penzeys Frozen Pizza Seasoning. Good stuff :yum: 0408172021_HDR.jpg0408172056_HDR.jpg

My next-door neighbor fired up his grill, and cooked what he always cooks on the grill, chicken and sausages. Always. And, he heard me on my patio, and as always offered me one of the sausages, and insists on it.

So, I had a kind of cajun spiced sausage on a roll leftover from yesterday's brats.

My neighbor is Nigerian, and super nice. His wife is from Louisiana, so we have similar tastes in food. I share my big cooks with them, too. Especially when I smoke ribs. They love my ribs.

I like having neighbors like them.

CD

I like neighbors who share food. We always share stuff with our neighbor who is divorced. He kindly allowed me to put frozen stuff in his basement freezer after DH pulled the freezer door off ours.

We had twice-baked potatoes. Whoof. The garlic. We don't have to worry about vampires tonight. Other various and sundry leftovers.

I like neighbors who share food. We always share stuff with our neighbor who is divorced. He kindly allowed me to put frozen stuff in his basement freezer after DH pulled the freezer door off ours.

We had twice-baked potatoes. Whoof. The garlic. We don't have to worry about vampires tonight. Other various and sundry leftovers.

Funny thing is, I am the divorced guy on the block, and most of my neighbors are married, some with kids, and they eat take-out or microwaved dinners most of the time.

There is an old, but honest, joke here. What do people in the Dallas suburbs make for dinner? Reservations.

CD

You must be popular! The divorced guy who cooks!

Most of my neighbors don't cook either.

casey, dinner out is the same up here. When we first moved up here we tried getting into a restaurant on a Thursday, for gosh sakes, and there was a 1 1/4 hour wait. :ohmy: We went home, I cooked, we ate sooner and spent a whole lot less. :LOL:

...We always share stuff with our neighbor who is divorced. He kindly allowed me to put frozen stuff in his basement freezer after DH pulled the freezer door off ours...
You keep bringing this door thing up...

I grocery shopped. As is the norm, we had leftovers. Unfortunately, we didn't eat enough leftovers to make room for all of the bulky produce. Watermelon, anyone?

CG, you need to admire the beauty of my duct-taped and shimmed freezer drawer. And what a pain in the butt it will be to replace the door or the whole fridge.

Did you ever post a photo? I'm sure you did a bang-up job on trying to make it functional. I suggest next time your DH takes something out of commission, you do likewise to him. :ermm: :ohmy: I don't mean take HIM out of commission. After all, he is worth the price of his paycheck. ;)

You must be popular! The divorced guy who cooks!

Most of my neighbors don't cook either.

When I was married, my wife was an amazing baker, who could also cook (two different skills). I was the main "cook" in the house. We made really good food at home.

We would go out one night a week for "date night." We were very picky about where we went -- no Applebee's. Going out was about trying something new, or just going to a favorite place where we could be waited on, and eat great food -- then get up from the table and walk away from the dirty dishes.

To me, eating out is either something I do when I'm on the road and can't cook, or it is something I do to truly enjoy a dining experience, and like I said, not have to clean anything after dinner.

Well, I do sometimes get a craving for a Whataburger. :rolleyes:

CD

Last edited:
We had the Smother bacon Asiago wine chicken. Since my Asiago was matured I just tested a little , separate from the main dish , just in case it would go horrible wrong and it did. It tasted digestive fluid, old wine and smelled of used socks.

So I used another Italian cheese and it turned out lovely and we both enjoyed it.

My husband said to me, I think you done this before and I went hrm, I think so too. So after going to the attic to get my old note book ( hid it there because my daughter, as baby, loved it a little too much) and I found the recipe is the same as Viv's mozzarella Chicken, however with mozzarella and not Asiago. So this recipe is staying, we will have it again.

We also had the smothered bacon chicken with asiago cream sauce. While I wouldn't describe it quite the way CP did, it did have a very strong winey/acidic taste. If I make it again, I'll cut down on the wine a bit (I used a Pinot Gris) and add more cream and/or cheese, probably both. BTW, I used an Italian DOP Asiago labeled as Fresh. We had roasted brussels on the side with a mushroom, bacon, cream, and sherry sauce. Hmm, sherry might be a good sub for the wine in the chicken dish...

6OyGjdp1toPMaig8zqOFL_RZ7oBlvwfTA4Bzhb7zdycpX92IB

medtran49: I used gato negro white wine ( I could afford that and it works for cooking) but my cheese was way too mature for cooking, it was more chatting and nibbling cheese, which I did later.

Last edited:
Cdog - I agree. I travel most weeks and eat out constantly. My wife eats out when I am going, as she cooks very little. So when I am home we like to eat, especially on the weekends for the experience. Sometimes that is at home, sometimes out. when you go out to eat every night, as some of my friends do, it is a chore, takes the fun out of it. With all that said, I did a Rib eye on my new grill, which we split, and Kroger had lobster on sale, so that was it with a Caprese salad.

Plans to eat at one of the many food stands at our towns "Good Old Days" celebration were thwarted by rain, so it was hot dogs at home..

No rain today so down to the celebration we go.. Will try something different @ a food booth...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom