Saturday dinner ideas, Sept 8, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Going out with a friend and maybe her husband too. San Fran offers much in the way of food..........
How bout anyone else, what ya making or having or cooking?

I picked my first green beans this morning. I learned years ago if I planted my beans "late" that I avoided the mexican bean beetle:clap:.

So dinner will be a skillet concoction of onions, garlic, potatoes, ham and green beans.

beth, i'm also a late planter. everyone is in such a rush to get everyhting into the ground in that they are susceptible to all of the bad stuff a full season provides.

in order to appease my green thumb in the spring, i plant a spring garden, which delays my summer planting. because if this, my garden is out of cycle with all of my neighbors', allowing me to escape many of their pest problems.

also, i've found plants that are started indoors suffer from hardening shock when planted too early, so it's just a waste of time. they actually end up growing more slowly. and drought conditions seem to hurt more mature plants, so a lack of rain in the summer affects my neighbors more.

ok, getting the dirt from beneath my fingernails, i'm thinking of grilling pork chops tonight. or if dw is up for it, we may finally go out for korean bbq, as it didn't happen last week.

Large shrimp in butter,wine,garlic,parsley over rice, a green salad with thin sliced apples and a roquefort,lemon juice and cream dressing, plain cooked large artichokes...dessert isn't happening today as I'm trying to get things done for the "SUNDAy" spectacle:wacko:

kadesma;)

no prob, uncle bob. ;)

to start things out right, it's not actually bbq of any kind. it should be called korean grilling.

you and yours sit around a large wooden table in which the center has been cut out, making room for a small firepit. hot coals are loaded into the pit in the table as you are seated, and a sparklingly clean stainless steel grid is placed on top.

you order the types of meats that you want to grill, usually as a prix fixe dinner which includes an array of small dishes, which are called banchan.

types of banchan include everything from iceberg lettuce salad with ginger dressing, to pickled tofu, to kimchi veggies and other unidentifiable stuff :); to marinated clams or octopus, to dried spiced shrimp, and so on. really exotic stuff for us occidentals. i have no idea what some of it is, but i have yet to be disappointed or put off.
also included in the prix fixe dinner, as the banchan are being served is a breaded, deep fried fish that resembles a large smelt. then comes an earthenware pot containing steamed scrambled egg casserole, fluffier than you've ever seen before.

next, the trays of raw or marinated, thinly sliced meats are brought to your table. you grill the meats (marinated beef slices or chunks, beef ribs, pork belly, sliced chicken breasts, shrimp, etc.) on your table's firepit, and when done to your liking, you place them on lettuce or shiso leaves using stainless stell chopsticks, with a bit of bean paste and/or hot sauce. you eat them by hand like a lettuce wrap, grilling your next wrap as you chow down.
finally, small stainless steel bowls of rice (and a spoon. koreans don't believe in driving you nuts by trying to eat rice, even sticky rice with chopsticks) are served, as if you needed more food.

depending on the number of people at your table, the small, shared dishes of banchan are regularly replaced, until everyone is stuffed.

service in a korean "bbq" joint is first rate, even in the smallest places. in fact, it's a bit unnerving the first few times, as the pace of service is so hectic that you feel obligated in a way to match them by eating quickly and getting the he77 out of there. :)
once you get used to it, you eay at your own pace, and are amazed at the hustle of the waiters, waitresses, bus persons, and the hot coals guy.

ok, well, i hope this accurately describes where i'm going tonight. if you ever get the chance, uncle bob, give korean bbq a go. a gourmande like you will love it.

buckytom said:
if you ever get the chance, uncle bob, give korean bbq a go.

Thanks BT. The only thing around here is the Japanese Hibachi style places. Not the same thing! I like the idea of grilling your own food, and the foods you describe sound delicious! Maybe a trip to the 'Joisey' area is in order! Or maybe you come down South and we will open up one. Bucky's & Bob's Roadside BBQ Korean Style! Maybe Alton would stop by for a visit!!:LOL:

BT that sounds delicious, fun, and very unique to anything I have had.

Now my dinner sounds boring :LOL: Fish and chips.

Grilling burgers, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, cukes and chips. Dessert is cherry cheesecake a fellow camper brought us ! - Yum

We have a wine-butt chicken on the grill and I'm going to make a garden salad. We had an appetizer at a waterfront restaurant in Va. Beach this afternoon - shrimp cocktail for me and oysters Rockefeller for DH.

Miss Barb.

I was wondering. If a buy a camper may I just follow you around and eat! I'll buy the gas!:LOL:

uncle bob, can we make our little restaurant on wheels? we'll follow barbel to her campsites.

i'll even provide the gas...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom