"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That looks interesting Bea, but it makes so much. What does the egg do?

The egg probably acts as an emulsifier for the oil and vinegar.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I tried something called "Crack Chicken" tonight, which involved breading the chicken in panko crumbs and oven baking it and then covering it with a sauce.

The chicken was supposed to bake on parchment paper, but the parchment paper burnt around the edges again and the chicken stuck to it when I went to turn it and I lost all the breading on that side.

The sauce was supposed to be made with lime juice, garlic powder, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce. It was awful. Unfortunately for me, I slathered this mess on before I tasted it and the result was inedible chicken. I ended up tossing the whole chicken breast out.

Now it's on to scrambled eggs and sausage for supper.

*sigh*

Old 07-17-2016, 03:32 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That looks interesting Bea, but it makes so much. What does the egg do?
I make a third of a recipe and still use one large egg, that is a generous amount for two chicken halves.

I make it in a jar, egg first, shake, add other ingredients, shake and marinate the chicken overnight in a plastic bag. If you can barbecue the chicken low and slow for a couple of hours you can mop the chicken with the mixture every 15 or 20 minutes and not bother marinating.

The egg gives the mixture some body so it clings to the chicken, as Andy said it helps to create an emulsion. You can leave it out if you are going to marinate the chicken but I would definitely include it if you are going to mop the chicken with the mixture.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks Kay and CG. CG your sammie looks really good and Kay's dinner sounds really good.

I've had those plates for over 15 years. I'm pretty sure I got them at Waccamaw and they've been closed since early 2000s. I am more careful with them than the good china, because I can still find replacements for the china, $$ but available.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #15
Head Chef

Rock, beautiful plate. We had actually planned to have a grilled vege dinner later in the week. Can't wait after seeing your plate!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

That sandwich looks delish, CG I might head to Panera today, too.
medtran, I really like those plates, too. I don't think I've seen anything like them before.

I made Parmesan-crusted pork chops with a veggie medley and potato salad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468758417969.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	25025  
Old 07-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The sauce was supposed to be made with lime juice, garlic powder, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce. It was awful. Unfortunately for me, I slathered this mess on before I tasted it and the result was inedible chicken. I ended up tossing the whole chicken breast out.

Now it's on to scrambled eggs and sausage for supper.

*sigh*
Bleah. Sorry that happened. Something I learned from the cooks here a long time ago is always to taste your food as you're making it. Sometimes things need a little adjustment, like a little more seasoning, and sometimes they need a major change or just don't work out. If you taste as you go, you'll soon be able to predict what a combination will taste like and whether you'll like it. Better luck next time
Old 07-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
Head Chef

Oh, I have a big sort of razor clam shell shaped serving platter that matches them that I use when I make sushi for several people. It's pretty cool looking too, but still in 1 of the boxes I haven't unpacked of kitchenware that's rarely used. Waccamaw always had such interesting things.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I make a third of a recipe and still use one large egg, that is a generous amount for two chicken halves.

I make it in a jar, egg first, shake, add other ingredients, shake and marinate the chicken overnight in a plastic bag. If you can barbecue the chicken low and slow for a couple of hours you can mop the chicken with the mixture every 15 or 20 minutes and not bother marinating.

The egg gives the mixture some body so it clings to the chicken, as Andy said it helps to create an emulsion. You can leave it out if you are going to marinate the chicken but I would definitely include it if you are going to mop the chicken with the mixture.
Thanks for the added info Bea.Good to know I can still use a whole egg for a third of the recipe. I grill lots of chicken thighs, and this sounds like something a little different so I'll definitely be giving it a go. Once in a while I like halves of Cornish Game Hens on the grill, and this sounds great for them too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That sandwich looks delish, CG ...
Pat yourself on the back, GG. It was the photo you posted in the Sandwiches around the World thread that inspired me. Good thing I saw that before I headed out to grocery shop!

Tags
dinner