Saturday Dinner Thread 7-16-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Too hot to do much cooking. I did boil some water to cook lo mein noodles so I could make a recipe of sesame noodles. While that was working, I made a quick batch of Thai pickled cucumbers. I'm defrosting some shrimp I will marinate and stir-fry to complete the meal.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What's your story?

Sushi. I made the rice earlier in the day so it would have plenty of time to cool. Found a nice chunk of tuna yesterday at Restaurant Depot, so we've got enough for a couple of tuna steaks for tomorrow or Monday, it's on ice in fridge. Spicy tuna rolls, shrimp rolls and vege rolls.

So far I've made some grandma-style sliced cukes in yogurt sauce (instead of sour cream) with some home-grown dillweed.

Debating about what else. Tuna salad is a distinct possibility.

My plate
37240-albums1042-picture6585.jpg

Craig's plate
37240-albums1042-picture6586.jpg

Shrimp and vege rolls for me, although I did have a couple of the spicy tuna rolls. Lots and lots of spicy tuna rolls (kimchee base) for Craig plus a few of the other 2.

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Chicken marinated overnight in Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce, a dill pickle and a scoop of potato salad. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce/Finger Lakes Marinade Recipe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Developed by the late Robert C. Baker, Professor of Poultry Science and Food Science.

Recipe for Barbecue Sauce (enough for 10 halves):

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
[/FONT]

Nice job Med, and I love the plates.

Beautiful meal Rock.

I'm doing loin lamb chops in our new skillet, we'll have roasted asparagus, and garlic toast for the SC.

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Chicken marinated overnight in Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce, a dill pickle and a scoop of potato salad. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce/Finger Lakes Marinade Recipe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Developed by the late Robert C. Baker, Professor of Poultry Science and Food Science.

Recipe for Barbecue Sauce (enough for 10 halves):

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
[/FONT]

That looks interesting Bea, but it makes so much. What does the egg do?

Nice looking dinners guys. :yum: medtran, just like Kayelle, I think those are cute plates, too. Want!

Thanks to the picture of a sandwich that GG posted, I was semi-inspired when I went shopping today. A rotisserie chicken, some smoked mozzarella from our foray into Amish Country while back home, baby greens and sliced tomato, all piled on a chunk of Foccacia from Panera. I melted the cheese on the bottom half of the bread and schmeared a goodly amount of mayo on the top half to make sure it all stuck together. Some patriotic potato chips and 1/2 of the last homemade pickle from Batch One finished off our plates.

Attachments

• 2016-07-16 21.03.12.jpg
    2016-07-16 21.03.12.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 97
I tried something called "Crack Chicken" tonight, which involved breading the chicken in panko crumbs and oven baking it and then covering it with a sauce.

The chicken was supposed to bake on parchment paper, but the parchment paper burnt around the edges again and the chicken stuck to it when I went to turn it and I lost all the breading on that side.

The sauce was supposed to be made with lime juice, garlic powder, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce. It was awful. Unfortunately for me, I slathered this mess on before I tasted it and the result was inedible chicken. I ended up tossing the whole chicken breast out.

Now it's on to scrambled eggs and sausage for supper.

*sigh*

That looks interesting Bea, but it makes so much. What does the egg do?

I make a third of a recipe and still use one large egg, that is a generous amount for two chicken halves.

I make it in a jar, egg first, shake, add other ingredients, shake and marinate the chicken overnight in a plastic bag. If you can barbecue the chicken low and slow for a couple of hours you can mop the chicken with the mixture every 15 or 20 minutes and not bother marinating.

The egg gives the mixture some body so it clings to the chicken, as Andy said it helps to create an emulsion. You can leave it out if you are going to marinate the chicken but I would definitely include it if you are going to mop the chicken with the mixture.

Last edited:
Thanks Kay and CG. CG your sammie looks really good and Kay's dinner sounds really good.

I've had those plates for over 15 years. I'm pretty sure I got them at Waccamaw and they've been closed since early 2000s. I am more careful with them than the good china, because I can still find replacements for the china, $$ but available.

Rock, beautiful plate. We had actually planned to have a grilled vege dinner later in the week. Can't wait after seeing your plate!

That sandwich looks delish, CG :yum: I might head to Panera today, too.
medtran, I really like those plates, too. I don't think I've seen anything like them before.

I made Parmesan-crusted pork chops with a veggie medley and potato salad.

Attachments

• 1468758417969.jpg
    1468758417969.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
The sauce was supposed to be made with lime juice, garlic powder, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce. It was awful. Unfortunately for me, I slathered this mess on before I tasted it and the result was inedible chicken. I ended up tossing the whole chicken breast out.

Now it's on to scrambled eggs and sausage for supper.

*sigh*

Bleah. Sorry that happened. Something I learned from the cooks here a long time ago is always to taste your food as you're making it. Sometimes things need a little adjustment, like a little more seasoning, and sometimes they need a major change or just don't work out. If you taste as you go, you'll soon be able to predict what a combination will taste like and whether you'll like it. Better luck next time :)

Last edited:
Oh, I have a big sort of razor clam shell shaped serving platter that matches them that I use when I make sushi for several people. It's pretty cool looking too, but still in 1 of the boxes I haven't unpacked of kitchenware that's rarely used. Waccamaw always had such interesting things.

I make a third of a recipe and still use one large egg, that is a generous amount for two chicken halves.

I make it in a jar, egg first, shake, add other ingredients, shake and marinate the chicken overnight in a plastic bag. If you can barbecue the chicken low and slow for a couple of hours you can mop the chicken with the mixture every 15 or 20 minutes and not bother marinating.

The egg gives the mixture some body so it clings to the chicken, as Andy said it helps to create an emulsion. You can leave it out if you are going to marinate the chicken but I would definitely include it if you are going to mop the chicken with the mixture.

Thanks for the added info Bea.Good to know I can still use a whole egg for a third of the recipe. I grill lots of chicken thighs, and this sounds like something a little different so I'll definitely be giving it a go. Once in a while I like halves of Cornish Game Hens on the grill, and this sounds great for them too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom