Saturday Feb 21 Dinner Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UB, what is that? It looks tasty. Catfish?
heathershubby, lasagna sounds yummy. I think you will be getting major brownie points tonight.

I am having Tilapia En Papillote

-Parchment paper
-2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 (14.5 oz can chunky stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 cup frozen, mixed vegetables (your choice)
2 1/3 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained
2 8 oz. pkgs of frozen Tilapia fillets (thawed)

-Cut two 12x12-inch square pieces of parchment paper; set aside.
-In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, thyme and pepper.
-Stir in tomatoes and lemon peel; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
-Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
-Stir in vegetables and artichoke hearts (drained)
-Cool 5 - 10 minutes.
-Heat oven to 425 F. Dry fillets with paper towels; place equal pieces of fillets in the middle of each paper square.
-Spoon sauce evenly over fish.
-Bring two halves of paper over sauce mixture, matching edges
-Seal by securely folding paper with tight double folds; seal short edges with double folds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
-Bake at 425 F for 20-25 min. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
-To serve: Place individual paper packet on serving plate..
Cut X-shaped slit on tip of paper; tear back.

-2 servings

I'm making French onion soup and a salad, and decided to make cube steaks with onion gravy to go with - saw them and bought them, don't really know why, never made them before. I think I'll make some noodles for the gravy. And baked apples for dessert.

1. Rib eye steaks on the BBQ (it is snowing like crazy here, so I'm lucky the BBQ is just outside my kitchen door)
  2. Butternut squast soup
  3. Fried asparagus finished with balsamic vinegar
  4. Baked potatos with tzatziki

I'm making French onion soup and a salad, and decided to make cube steaks with onion gravy to go with - saw them and bought them, don't really know why, never made them before. I think I'll make some noodles for the gravy. And baked apples for dessert.
That sure sounds like comfort food to me! :chef:

Are you making the gravy from scratch or an envelope?

Make sure you don't over-cook the cube steaks, they can get really tough. If you bake them in the gravy, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I like to brown them in a skillet (4 servings, 2-3 Tbsp olive oil; 1 serving 1-2 Tbsp olive oil)

If you bake the steaks with no liquid, then cover with foil, and cook for 25 min @ 350... turning once, half way. Personally, I would add the gravy to the browned cube steak, and let that bake for the above time.

A great "noodle" side dish is cooked egg noodles/rotini, tossed with 1 Tbsp butter, 1 minced garlic clove (1 tsp garlic powder) and 1-2 tsp of basil or italian seasoning. That is for one serving.

Along side... garlic bread is the best, but any bread-n-butter will do.

Your apples sound delish! :)

I had pulled pork shoulder dressed with a nice simple vinegar based Carolina style sauce, mac and cheese and slaw.

Am making Asian-style Noodles with ginger, garlic, red pepper, chili paste, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil...etc. Snow peas would have been nice on the side, but I don't have any on hand.

I was going to have diner with a friend We had not decided if we were going out or they were coming here for diner - They were suppose to let me know what they would prefer so I waited to see if I should go shopping because I did not know what they would enjoy at the time. Long story short that by the time they let me know they could not make it - the stores were closed and I had nothing ready to prepare Ended up eating store made Lasagna.Oh well... will not do that again -lol-think I will not wait next time.

I ended up having pizza. The bf ordered two .One with tonnes of veggies and one with just double cheese and bacon .
I had two slices of the bacon pizza with loads of the creamy garlic dip .

So, the "RESERVATIONS I made was at the Three Monkeys Bistro.........
Here's a review of our FIRST visit there; I'm posting it because we had basically the same meal last night.................
THE THREE MONKEYS
The bistro was smaller than I imagined it, but there was enough room between the tables, and the service was excellent.

I had the Cheese-Steak soup; it was exactly that- little pieces of Filet Mignon in a cheese-whiz soup. very nice
The warden had the Baked French Onion soup and it also was well done, except perhaps it was left under the broiler a moment or two too long for the cheese; was a little too crispy around the edge.
We shared a helping of the fried Calamari ("Calamonkey") and it was done perfectly. Most places over-cook their deep-fried seafood; these were a light golden brown and not like the rubbery stuff you usually get 'round here.

I had the Wasabi Crab cakes- they were excellent ! Mostly CRAB for a change, not breading. and the side of fries could have fed four adults ! Big fat tender / crisp steak fries, with two different dippers; a ketchup-y sauce and a cheesy one.
The Warden tried the seafood Risotto- This was very tasty, but was light on the "Seafood"....just three scallops and two large shrimp, although it was obvious there were small bits of both in the sauce.

The iced tea was obviously fresh-brewed and reminded me of the "Sweet Tea" of my youth.

The salads were HUGE; made with field greens rather than the more common "American Blend".
We skipped dessert, as you may imagine.

Tab (four adults) was under $50 before the tip .

I am having Tilapia En Papillote

-Parchment paper
-2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 (14.5 oz can chunky stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 cup frozen, mixed vegetables (your choice)
2 1/3 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained
2 8 oz. pkgs of frozen Tilapia fillets (thawed)

-Cut two 12x12-inch square pieces of parchment paper; set aside.
-In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, thyme and pepper.
-Stir in tomatoes and lemon peel; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
-Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
-Stir in vegetables and artichoke hearts (drained)
-Cool 5 - 10 minutes.
-Heat oven to 425 F. Dry fillets with paper towels; place equal pieces of fillets in the middle of each paper square.
-Spoon sauce evenly over fish.
-Bring two halves of paper over sauce mixture, matching edges
-Seal by securely folding paper with tight double folds; seal short edges with double folds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
-Bake at 425 F for 20-25 min. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
-To serve: Place individual paper packet on serving plate..
Cut X-shaped slit on tip of paper; tear back.

-2 servings
This was my dinner last night. I'll put this over in the Fish & Seafood forum.
img_795381_0_ebeddf1ca97ea19774def92bc3bfb8bb.jpg

img_795381_1_070aec1c88b65c2a5220bce67db518cc.jpg

img_795381_2_39988dce4d9686c3f789e0e553e8a886.jpg

Back
Top Bottom