"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I have a coconut cream pound cake but I could drench it in chocolate if you like
Naw...that's to much trouble...Just bring a 1/2 gallon of Chocolate Ice cream to go with it....

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #32
Head Chef
I had pulled pork shoulder dressed with a nice simple vinegar based Carolina style sauce, mac and cheese and slaw.

"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #33
Executive Chef
JohnL, if I was't so full, that would be sounding really good. I really like a vinegar based sauce. If you care to share....
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I had chipotle tempeh burgers with sweet potato fries
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #35
Head Chef
Am making Asian-style Noodles with ginger, garlic, red pepper, chili paste, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil...etc. Snow peas would have been nice on the side, but I don't have any on hand.
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #36
Sous Chef
I was going to have diner with a friend We had not decided if we were going out or they were coming here for diner - They were suppose to let me know what they would prefer so I waited to see if I should go shopping because I did not know what they would enjoy at the time. Long story short that by the time they let me know they could not make it - the stores were closed and I had nothing ready to prepare Ended up eating store made Lasagna.Oh well... will not do that again -lol-think I will not wait next time.
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye - but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those!"
Reanie525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #37
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
I ended up having pizza. The bf ordered two .One with tonnes of veggies and one with just double cheese and bacon .
I had two slices of the bacon pizza with loads of the creamy garlic dip .
Deathbysoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #38
Master Chef
So, the "RESERVATIONS I made was at the Three Monkeys Bistro.........
Here's a review of our FIRST visit there; I'm posting it because we had basically the same meal last night.................
The bistro was smaller than I imagined it, but there was enough room between the tables, and the service was excellent.

I had the Cheese-Steak soup; it was exactly that- little pieces of Filet Mignon in a cheese-whiz soup. very nice
The warden had the Baked French Onion soup and it also was well done, except perhaps it was left under the broiler a moment or two too long for the cheese; was a little too crispy around the edge.
We shared a helping of the fried Calamari ("Calamonkey") and it was done perfectly. Most places over-cook their deep-fried seafood; these were a light golden brown and not like the rubbery stuff you usually get 'round here.

I had the Wasabi Crab cakes- they were excellent ! Mostly CRAB for a change, not breading. and the side of fries could have fed four adults ! Big fat tender / crisp steak fries, with two different dippers; a ketchup-y sauce and a cheesy one.
The Warden tried the seafood Risotto- This was very tasty, but was light on the "Seafood"....just three scallops and two large shrimp, although it was obvious there were small bits of both in the sauce.

The iced tea was obviously fresh-brewed and reminded me of the "Sweet Tea" of my youth.

The salads were HUGE; made with field greens rather than the more common "American Blend".
We skipped dessert, as you may imagine.

Tab (four adults) was under $50 before the tip .

Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #39
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
I am having Tilapia En Papillote

-Parchment paper
-2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 (14.5 oz can chunky stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 cup frozen, mixed vegetables (your choice)
2 1/3 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained
2 8 oz. pkgs of frozen Tilapia fillets (thawed)

-Cut two 12x12-inch square pieces of parchment paper; set aside.
-In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, thyme and pepper.
-Stir in tomatoes and lemon peel; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
-Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
-Stir in vegetables and artichoke hearts (drained)
-Cool 5 - 10 minutes.
-Heat oven to 425 F. Dry fillets with paper towels; place equal pieces of fillets in the middle of each paper square.
-Spoon sauce evenly over fish.
-Bring two halves of paper over sauce mixture, matching edges
-Seal by securely folding paper with tight double folds; seal short edges with double folds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
-Bake at 425 F for 20-25 min. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
-To serve: Place individual paper packet on serving plate..
Cut X-shaped slit on tip of paper; tear back.

-2 servings
This was my dinner last night. I'll put this over in the Fish & Seafood forum.

A little kindness goes a long way.
Vanilla Bean is offline   Reply With Quote