Saturday Jan 14th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
The Quebecois Pea soup is simmering (I used the bone from last week's ham), it smells really good and the peas are soft, so I can finish it any time now. Also on the menu is Swedish sourdough rye bread and a cranberry souffle. I will be eating pea soup the rest of the week...

Last edited:
I think I'm going to start a pot of chili. It's cold for us this weekend (upper 30's to low 40's for a high) and DH will be working outside a lot today and tomorrow.

Steamed hot pastrami sandwiches on a crusty freshly home-baked Jewish style rye bread with large garlic / dill pickles and deli style mustard.
For those familiar with LI, we bought the pastrami, mustard, and pickles from Goldberg's Famous appetizing, in East Hampton.
This kind of chow is one of the few things I miss from NYC.

Go to a birthday party for three friends. It's pot luck. I'm feeling lazy, so we will probably bring a large, round loaf of whole grain bread and some cheese.

Count me in for the Trifecta. There is a pot of chili on the back burner simmering now. Watching it snow a little out the windows and am going to watch football playoffs.

The container I've been waiting to thaw finally has. Near as I can tell it is the Greek meatballs in asparagus lemon sauce that I made a while back. I'll serve it over egg noodles.

the meal i didn't make last night, salmon patties, acorn squash, either artichoke hearts or pea salad. ended up last night with a ca. roast beef and provolone grilled sandwich. just plain got to tired to mess with the other.

The container I've been waiting to thaw finally has. Near as I can tell it is the Greek meatballs in asparagus lemon sauce that I made a while back. I'll serve it over egg noodles.

A permanent marker and some masking tape work great to take the mystery out of freezing.

Masking tape and a marker here. Thank goodness Pac didn't have another bowl of gravy. I'm still chuckling!

Yeah, I use my Sharpies on plastic bags too. Doesn't the whiteboard marker rub off too easily?
I was wondering the same thing. I find that labels made using my Brother label maker (1) stay on, and (2) don't fade. I have containers that are labeled "STOCK". Once empty, I don't use them for anything other than stock (which I seem to make fairly often). I generally thaw the stock and then plan the soup :). Forgot, a friend of mine colour-codes the meat (so uses blue for chicken, red for beef, etc.). That way she knows what kind of meat is in the container.

Last edited:
Yeah, I use my Sharpies on plastic bags too. Doesn't the whiteboard marker rub off too easily?

Not on the lids of plastic containers. They are usually textured and hold onto the ink. The disposable containers with the shiny smooth lids do tend to wipe off more easily.

Back
Top Bottom