Saturday June 16, What's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
My kids are at dance recital right now, I'm headed to work shortly and I haven't given a single thought to dinner! OOPS! I've got to go grab something out of the freezer for them to munch on. We've got key lime pie for dessert though!

What's cooking in your house tonight?

We're trying a Moroccan chicken dish that uses preserved lemons. Our batch of preserved lemons were ready just this past week. Couscous to go with.:yum:

I was out the door at 6:00 a.m. so I could do my thing as a director of a local charity. The 1.5 hour drive each way as not fun. I thought I had some extra-firm tofu in the fridge--thought I'd oven roast it and do a stir fry. Wrong, silk tofu. 360 degree turn--I added gama marsala to the drained tofu, some chopped jalapeno peppers, 1/2 lime fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/2 lemon fresh squeezed, lime and lemon zest, some EVOO. (I used my hand mixer to "blend it up.") Set that aside. This is going to be the "sauce" for "creamed" swiss chard. I like the tofu sauce...hopefully it will be okay tossed with the steamed swiss chard. I can guarantee you the tofu sauce doesn't taste like fake chicken. I have some fresh tomatoes--not from the garden, but might toss those in at the last minute or so of tossing the steamed swiss chard with the tofu cream sauce.

Last edited:
I was out the door at 6:00 a.m. so I could do my thing as a director of a local charity. The 1.5 hour drive each way as not fun. I thought I had some extra-firm tofu in the fridge--thought I'd oven roast it and do a stir fry. Wrong, silk tofu. 360 degree turn--I added gama marsala to the drained tofu, some chopped jalapeno peppers, 1/2 lime fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/2 lemon fresh squeezed, lime and lemon zest, some EVOO. (I used my hand mixer to "blend it up.") Set that aside. This is going to be the "sauce" for "creamed" swiss chard. I like the tofu sauce...hopefully it will be okay tossed with the steamed swiss chard. I can guarantee you the tofu sauce doesn't taste like fake chicken. I have some fresh tomatoes--not from the garden, but might toss those in at the last minute or so of tossing the steamed swiss chard with the tofu cream sauce.
Okay--I added some cracked wheat (couldn't find the bulgar--think that might be at the house in the city), added grated carrots and some currants to the swiss chard--boiled it in a curry-based chicken stock I made on the weekend (reserved the stock yet again). Tossed the tomatoes with the tofu while it waited for the Swiss chard. I must say, quite tasty. I could've put it on rice, but I was too tired to do that and I don't usually eat white rice, so would've had to wait a bit longer for the brown rice or barley (my other choice when it comes to putting a dish on something). No onions, no garlic. I did squeeze some more lime juice over top. This was a tofu experiment. I liked it--I liked it a lot--just the right amount of heat and sweet. I don't know what to call it--Swiss Chard with Tofu sauce? Creamed Tofu-Swiss Chard?

Attachments

• CWS_Tofu_experiment 002.jpg
    CWS_Tofu_experiment 002.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 165
  • CWS_Tofu_experiment 003.jpg
    CWS_Tofu_experiment 003.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Okay--I added some cracked wheat (couldn't find the bulgar--think that might be at the house in the city), added grated carrots and some currants to the swiss chard--boiled it in a curry-based chicken stock I made on the weekend (reserved the stock yet again). Tossed the tomatoes with the tofu while it waited for the Swiss chard. I must say, quite tasty. I could've put it on rice, but I was too tired to do that and I don't usually eat white rice, so would've had to wait a bit longer for the brown rice or barley (my other choice when it comes to putting a dish on something). No onions, no garlic. I did squeeze some more lime juice over top. This was a tofu experiment. I liked it--I liked it a lot--just the right amount of heat and sweet. I don't know what to call it--Swiss Chard with Tofu sauce? Creamed Tofu-Swiss Chard?
Forgot--I also added 2 leaves of freshly chopped mint as a garnish.

I haven't had time to cook for a while. Yesterday was the tax deadline, so today I'm relaxing, but tired. We talked about going out for supper, but even that seemed like more effort than I wanted to exert. I thought about making a salad with tuna. The more I thought about it, the better I liked the idea. It's quite warm today. So, I made a salad with tuna and hard boiled eggs. The tomato is on the side, 'cause I'm the only one who eats raw tomato.

33814-albums893-picture4887.jpg

33814-albums893-picture4888.jpg

33814-albums893-picture4889.jpg

I haven't had time to cook for a while. Yesterday was the tax deadline, so today I'm relaxing, but tired. We talked about going out for supper, but even that seemed like more effort than I wanted to exert. I thought about making a salad with tuna. The more I thought about it, the better I liked the idea. It's quite warm today. So, I made a salad with tuna and hard boiled eggs. The tomato is on the side, 'cause I'm the only one who eats raw tomato.

33814-albums893-picture4887.jpg

33814-albums893-picture4888.jpg

33814-albums893-picture4889.jpg
That all looks really good, TL!

This night I'm having broiled marinated flank steak strips, medium shrimp brushed with garlic butter and brolied , baked potato, salad and roll. I cut the flank steak up into strips and freeze portions in vacuum qt.bags. The shrimp I buy unshelled in 16-20 count bags frozen, then freeze in gallon vacuum bags.

Last edited:
Oh, such healthy looking dishes. Very much what we'll be doing soon. Today was wings on the grill, very, very good if I do say so myself. There were leftover salads and pasta in the fridge to round it out.

We had grilled fillet mignon, various side salads, and grilled pineapple with vanilla bean ice cream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom